Dependant on a computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The recently released DAN Injury Report and Statistics for 2001 showed that 67% of divers with DCI planned their dives using dive computers.

That's scary. Are we relying too much on technology that's just not precise enough to safeguard our well-being?

MHK once bubbled...
Also, WRT your point about not wanting to go broke learning the method, for the price of your computer you could have taken the DIR-F class, learned the deco on teh fly trick plus a few other diving skills ;-)
Later

Damn you had to through that one in there didn't ya..;-0

So in other words if you want to lean it take the class. Makes sense to me.

MHK once bubbled...
for the price of your computer you could have taken the DIR-F class, learned the deco on teh fly trick plus a few other diving skills ;-)

Tricks....no one told me there would be a magic show....this is going to be a lot of fun in KY....

BTW...price of my computer 225...we still got a deal? he he he:D

Vixyswillie once bubbled...

That's scary. Are we relying too much on technology that's just not precise enough to safeguard our well-being?

dude...4 words....

High School Math Class ..... when is the last time you saw a high school kid without a calculator? Our future is hosed.

MHK once bubbled...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/05/25/MN309974.DTL

Read this article and then consider your opinion of becoming dependant on computers. My only comment on the article is that given the players involved I'm somewhat suspect of the events, but the point still stands about relying on computers..

Later

As I said in another thread, the main reason not to use a dive computer is that you have a much more powerful computer between your ears. Why rely on inferior technology?

Vixyswillie once bubbled...
The recently released DAN Injury Report and Statistics for 2001 showed that 67% of divers with DCI planned their dives using dive computers.

How many divers used computers?

And what percentage of divers *not* using computers got bent vs the percentage of divers using computers who got bent?

"67% of divers with DCI used a computer" is an absolutely meaningless stat.

jonnythan once bubbled...

How many divers used computers?

And what percentage of divers *not* using computers got bent vs the percentage of divers using computers who got bent?

I'd be interested to find out how many of them used their computers versus following them blindly. A computer is a tool....it doesn't think, you do. I don't care what my computer says....I don't fly 9 hours after several days of repetitive dives. I also don't dive to the end of the displayed NDL (just as I wouldn't dive to the end of the tables).

It's just a tool for you to make informed decisions with. In my opinion, it's when folks treat them like they can actually read the nitrogen level in their tissues, that things start to go horribly wrong. It's not Gospel, it's just a theoretical guess.

My .02

Peace,
Cathie

jonnythan once bubbled...

I disagree. Of the total number of divers with reported cases of DCI in the DAN report (414), 67% of them planned their dives using dive computers (e.g., instead of planning their dives using tables - 13%; instead of having the dive completely planned by a guide - ~12%; or instead of planning their dives using some other method - ~8%).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom