Dependant on a computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space

Contributor
Reaction score
The way I see it (and this goes for me only) for right now i'm dependant on a computer. I don't know how to calculate NDL on the fly. I would like to but from what I can find you have to take classes which take time and money something kinda scarce right now.

I'm not saying I don't want to use a computer anymore I want to be able to do the calculations also. I think it would be cool to see how close I can come to what my computer is telling me and vis versa.

Is there anywhere I can learn how to do these things without spending a ton of money?

I'm new to the sport so time is not of the essence. I want to take it slow and learn...

Thanks for any comments
Brandon

If you plan your dive and dive your plan you won't need a computer or have to be able do NDL's on the Fly.

You do make a dive plan and follow it don't you?

I would sugest taking the Multilevel dive class. I'f you can't plan it as a multilevel dive then you should dive a square profile. You can also purchase the PADI Wheel which will have instructions on how to use it to plan for multilevel dives.

I use a computer and I can't do NDL's on the fly either so I try to plan as close to what I think the dive profile should be for the site I'm diving then I dive my plan.

I've wiped all my responses

Peter

Blue Space once bubbled...
The way I see it (and this goes for me only) for right now i'm dependant on a computer. I don't know how to calculate NDL on the fly. I would like to but from what I can find you have to take classes which take time and money something kinda scarce right now.

I'm not saying I don't want to use a computer anymore I want to be able to do the calculations also. I think it would be cool to see how close I can come to what my computer is telling me and vis versa.

Is there anywhere I can learn how to do these things without spending a ton of money?

I'm new to the sport so time is not of the essence. I want to take it slow and learn...

Thanks for any comments
Brandon

Didn't they teach you the tables in OW? It's required learning.

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

R..

Not for all agencies.

Besides, about 1/2 of my dives would have been cut short by 10 to 25 minutes if I went by the tables. Those really aren't an answer.

GeekDiver once bubbled...
If you plan your dive and dive your plan you won't need a computer or have to be able do NDL's on the Fly.

You do make a dive plan and follow it don't you?.

Yes I do make a dive plan and yes I follow it.

Your missing my point..
There are divers on this board that don't need a computer to dive or tables to tell them where the NDL are. I want to be able to do that. But I don't have the tools to learn. I believe these guys use a modified table or something.

Like I said I think it would be cool to see how close my computer is to my calculations...

Where is UP or O-ring when you need them

Diver0001 once bubbled...

R..

I must not be wording it right. Of course I learned the tables but they cut your bottom time in multilevel diving.

I am guessing that bluespace wants to be able to do multilevel dives and calculate on the fly how much "time" he has left before he has pushed himself into deco without using a computer.

For one, I have no idea....I hope to learn a thing or two in 3 weeks when I take DIR-F.

Bluespace...I'll pm ya some stuff when I figure stuff out....if that makes any sense.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
I am guessing that bluespace wants to be able to do multilevel dives and calculate on the fly how much "time" he has left before he has pushed himself into deco without using a computer.

Now if I could of said that in the beginning. :mean:

Thanks Big-t I will be looking forward to your PM..

I frigin blew my chance at the DIR-F class and I'm still kicking myself in the A**. I had it right here in my back yard but let something as little as money get in the way..:bonk:

Blue Space once bubbled...

Yes I do make a dive plan and yes I follow it.

Your missing my point..
There are divers on this board that don't need a computer to dive or tables to tell them where the NDL are. I want to be able to do that. But I don't have the tools to learn. I believe these guys use a modified table or something.

Like I said I think it would be cool to see how close my computer is to my calculations...

Where is UP or O-ring when you need them

Since you invited me let me see if I can jump in ;-)

The computing on the fly isn't really rocket science, it is much more about turning your brain on underwater, that I believe is the point that we try to get accross when we discuss computing deco on the fly. Many rely on devices such as computers which amongst other things dampers the sense of situational awareness..

To the extent that you wish to wean yourself off of computers one of the first things you'll need to recognize is that the goal isn't to compare your "on the fly" computations with the yellow or green pixals of your computer, that is solving for the wrong equation. In essence the idea, and I'm speaking very generically here, is that many computer algorithms are designed for diver's that lack basic skills such as buoyancy control and/or are in poor physical shape and so on. In short the gradients are set for conservatism, [ in my best Sienfeld voice " not that there is anything wrong with that"] but the point is that the overall shape of your ascent rate, coupled with deep stops make for wiser conservatism choices in lieu of limiting bottom times in favor of conservation. Some of the computers are catching up with changing theories and aren't penalizing you for deep stops, but by in large most Buhlman based algorithms penalize you for deep stops..

Also, WRT your point about not wanting to go broke learning the method, for the price of your computer you could have taken the DIR-F class, learned the deco on teh fly trick plus a few other diving skills ;-)

Hope that helps, but let me know if something still isn't clear..

Later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom