Deploying a DSMB in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I think both Gordon and Ray are both very knowledgeable and both very sure they are right. No matter how much I mentally rehearse it, I'm simply going to have to try it and see the results. I don't much care what a mic cable does but I think everyone should try different ways of spooling a line and see for themselves. If nothing else, we can each see what works and doesn't work and why. Seein' is believin'.

Probably missing something but dosen't a good quality ss swivel at the end of the spool line make this a relatively fool proof task?

You'd think it would but I've seen them still twist

Well, I think both Gordon and Ray are both very knowledgeable and both very sure they are right. No matter how much I mentally rehearse it, I'm simply going to have to try it and see the results. I don't much care what a mic cable does but I think everyone should try different ways of spooling a line and see for themselves. If nothing else, we can each see what works and doesn't work and why. Seein' is believin'.
The difference is that wire/cable resists twisting where string does not. When you put a twist in a wire that is not connected to something at the other end, the whole wire rotates as you wrap the cable.

The difference is that wire/cable resists twisting where string does not. When you put a twist in a wire that is not connected to something at the other end, the whole wire rotates as you wrap the cable.

I could show you 100’s of employees over the years that couldn’t wind an extension cord or air hose to save their life - connected not connected - I’ll show you how three times then I just give up......

Only on Scubaboard would people argue about twist in line. It's just line FFS! Geeze

If its getting twists in it, change the line! I shoot my dsmbs approx 100+ times a year and change my flat cord only every 3 years

As to length of spool - choose one that has enough line +20% so you can shoot it from the max depth you dive from with a little extra left over and can account for the dsmb being taken by current without hauling you up. For rec I carry 150' on line). If you get blown off a reef in current you want your dsmb on the surface sooner rather than later so the surface boat can track you.

Where are people getting the nylon canisters? Asking for a friend :wink:

Cheaper to just use a secondhand dive camera case.

Cheaper to just use a secondhand dive camera case.
Probably but I would rather buy something slightly larger in order to fit some extras. I'll probably get a Light Monkey Canister when I get my ACR.

A key point in blowing up and launching a DSMB is to remember to let air out of your BCD before you start adding air to the sausage. I deploy at about 40 feet and once at the surface I keep the DSMB blown up until I'm at the boat. Sometimes in sporty seas you think the boat is coming to pick you up, but another diver is being picked up before you (due to wave height you can't see the diver) so having an inflated DSMB is important. I hand the sausage up to the DM or deck hand when I'm at the ladder.
Problem with this is that at the end of the dive I have very little or no air left in my BCD.

Problem with this is that at the end of the dive I have very little or no air left in my BCD.

If you inflate your SMB "manually" the trick is to release it before you inhale. That way it never adds to your buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom