DSMB is flaccid upon deployment. Looking for tips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 1.8m DSMB, it is very hard to relase a hard one via oral inflate. octopus is better way. My last dive shoot it at 4.7m, it is full (then I drop my spool so I go down to pick it :)
but inflate too much is risky, check spool hook line and head up before inflate.
1694714605830.png

ps. Nishikigi Chisato is so cute I put she at my smb
1694714813573.png

1694714713784.png

Or you can choose small one (1.2m) like this video, he can hold a near full smb even at depth 2.7m

That’s never happened to me.

I'm surprised no one has said this but place depth markings on your sausage/DSMB from the top. 1/4 down mark 100 feet/30 meters, 1/3 down 66 feet/20 meters, 1/2 way down 33 feet/10 meters.

Sausages should become instantly erect when the situation calls for it.

There are some interesting things when he deployed the SMB. I'm not so sure about sticking your finger into the hole on the spool I had it get caught on my dry glove one times and sorta bind up / twist my finger as it was flying to the surface, and when he goes head up to add gas to the smb he dumps a bunch of gas out of his drysuit, not sure if that was intentional or not but I normally lean just slight heads down as I shoot it

There are some interesting things when he deployed the SMB. I'm not so sure about sticking your finger into the hole on the spool I had it get caught on my dry glove one times and sorta bind up / twist my finger as it was flying to the surface, and when he goes head up to add gas to the smb he dumps a bunch of gas out of his drysuit, not sure if that was intentional or not but I normally lean just slight heads down as I shoot it
It looks like it was intentional, as he pointed to the dry suit dump valve and made some sort of bubble sign before he inflated the SMB. Not sure it was intentional to dump when he looked up first, though. He had quite a bit of air in his suit. I'm not sold on the technique, but I'm guessing he did it to counteract an extra big inhale which in turn ended up in the SMB when he inhaled again after inflating, so he's negative when he lets it go and adds air to the BC. I usually just hold my breath after exhaling into the SMB before I let go, and then starting breathing again already neutral.

See how many breaths it takes to blow it up fully on land. Then do the math for 15 feet to find out if you can do it on one long breath. Then go online to buy a smaller smb cause you now know your 6ft monster woukd need it's own Al80 cylinder to fully inflate.

Reactions: BRT
I find that video interesting in that the guy is constantly exhaling out of his mask. I don't recall seeing any good divers do that, seems like a poor technique to me, but what do I know, he must be an expert.

I find it interesting that some suggest letting air out of your BCD before inflating the DSMB. I assume that these are not the same people who believe that all air should be out of your BCD on safety stop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom