Depth: 95 ft, In Deco, 500 psi, No Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No... He is a very good old school diver that likes to share real world diving.. A lot of divers would never post in here.. And I dare say... They don't even know that they f#%k up...

Jim..

Having posted a couple of my own whoopsies in here this year, I believe that having a frank discussion about errors made while diving is a good learning experience. Our safety office at my company encourages filing near-miss reports supposedly for that reason; however doing so usually results in getting raked over the coals and some really stupid suggestions from non-divers (the all-time classic was the suggestion of steel-toed boots after I got nicked by a small stingray while wading). By contrast, dumpsterDiver's near-miss reports and the subsequent discussions with posters on here are helpful.

The OP's notes on not freaking out are a good takeaway; this thread and one of dumpsterDiver's other topics made me go back and look at a similar incident I had last year. Since I had a mask cam I was at least able to figure out the timeline of events after I hot-dogged it a little too much on the first dive of a lionfish tournament. I was in better shape on gas (about 750 psi in a HP120 steel tank), but I maxed out the dive at 130 and started my final ascent from 120 with one minute of accumulated deco. Still made a nice slow ascent (4 minutes from bottom to safety stop) and my breathing didn't go out of whack, even when the bull shark that had been shadowing me throughout the dive decided to come up and play during the safety stop.

I don't read this particular sub forum very much (almost never). Tonight, I thought I'd take a gander around. One thing I've noticed is that 3 of the 5 threads that I've opened have been created, and involve the same person. Am I the only one who is finding this odd? :)

Not sure what your point is.

Is it that you think the threads are "fake"?
Do you think the frequency of near misses posts is indicative of recklessness?

I've had to learn a lot of lessons while diving - sometimes it takes repetition for me to gain comprehension.

As a still new, and any diver for that matter, Near Misses and Lessons Learned is one of the best forums to be in. Credit goes out to any diver willing to share their experiences.

Not sure what your point is.

Is it that you think the threads are "fake"?
Do you think the frequency of near misses posts is indicative of recklessness?

I've had to learn a lot of lessons while diving - sometimes it takes repetition for me to gain comprehension.

Well, of the three current threads, you'd be lying if you said you didn't know what you were doing on this dive.

You're son having a reverse squeeze was not your near miss and I don't think anyone can pass judgment on something like that. It is what it is and he did what he needed to do.

Almost getting hit by a boat? Well there's some blame to go around for everyone on that deal.

Nevertheless, we can share and learn about our diving experiences (especially with video) or we can sit around and talk about AI in dive computers. I prefer the former.

On my AOW at about 100ft with an instructor. Tangled reel and 800 psi. oops... I signaled low on air and tried to hand him the reel and he signaled to untangle the reel first, I did, then we headed up slowly. We had a stage hanging at 15ft. When I checked my air, I still had over 500 psi. He had me switch over to the stage for the stop. On the surface, I asked why I had to untangle the reel even though I was low on air. He said to show that there was no big emergency. "But what if I ran out of air?"... " Did you?"...."No,I'm surprised there was so much left, but what if I had?"....."That's what I was there for. You were calm, so you had enough air and I could see there was no problem and stayed out of it, but I was ready to share. That's what your buddy is for"
I wonder what he would have done if I was a more nervous student.

On my AOW at about 100ft with an instructor. Tangled reel and 800 psi. oops... I signaled low on air and tried to hand him the reel and he signaled to untangle the reel first, I did, then we headed up slowly. We had a stage hanging at 15ft. When I checked my air, I still had over 500 psi. He had me switch over to the stage for the stop. On the surface, I asked why I had to untangle the reel even though I was low on air. He said to show that there was no big emergency. "But what if I ran out of air?"... " Did you?"...."No,I'm surprised there was so much left, but what if I had?"....."That's what I was there for. You were calm, so you had enough air and I could see there was no problem and stayed out of it, but I was ready to share. That's what your buddy is for"
I wonder what he would have done if I was a more nervous student.

Something different I suppose. Some people need more babysitting than others. From your description you handled it well, it wasn't nearly an emergency, and I'd guess you gained some knowledge and possibly confidence that you can handle yourself underwater. I think you did a good job and would have told you as much.

Where did the DC recommend you do your deco stop? In a case like this with such low air my guess is that the best approach would just be to aim for a longer safety stop, but I'd like to hear from more experienced people.

Where did the DC recommend you do your deco stop? In a case like this with such low air my guess is that the best approach would just be to aim for a longer safety stop, but I'd like to hear from more experienced people.

Look at the video again - several times it showed Deco - last one I think is at 2:50mins into the video. It looks like a Veo 2.0 DC - 3 mins is total time to surface, 10 feet is the ceiling and 1 min is the deco obligation. At 5:38 he cleared his deco obligation - I think it was 44 feet. But since he was barely in Deco - the deco cleared before he got to the ceiling. All he was doing was showing that folks should not panic if they happen to go into deco for a minute or two. He is not suggesting anyone do it - just don't panic and shoot to the surface. Safe Diving :)

Look at the video again - several times it showed Deco - last one I think is at 2:50mins into the video. It looks like a Veo 2.0 DC - 3 mins is total time to surface, 10 feet is the ceiling and 1 min is the deco obligation. At 5:38 he cleared his deco obligation - I think it was 44 feet. But since he was barely in Deco - the deco cleared before he got to the ceiling. All he was doing was showing that folks should not panic if they happen to go into deco for a minute or two. He is not suggesting anyone do it - just don't panic and shoot to the surface. Safe Diving :)

Ya that's what it looks like. I was wondering what that 3 meant - how does it come up with time to surface? I don't think that's air integrated - maybe it's a suggested ascent rate? Anyone know?

Update: Here's what the VEO 2.0 manual says about that 3 minute number:

* TAT includes stop times of all required deco stops plus vertical ascent time based on the max rate allowed. (not sure if it takes into account safety stops?)

So basically he needs to last at least 3 minutes like that w/ 500 psi. Either way, I can't imagine being at that depth with that little air left.

Last edited:
Ya that's what it looks like. I was wondering what that 3 meant - how does it come up with time to surface? I don't think that's air integrated - maybe it's a suggested ascent rate? Anyone know?

Gonna start charging you a $1 a question.

2mins from where he was about 90 ft (surface about 60 feet per min and then slow to 30 feet per min after 30 feet (rounded up to the nearest min) plus the 1 min deco time.

Most dive computers have differences - Oceanic I believe is pretty standard but you can look in your user manual for the exact rates and depths... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom