Depth allowed for Newly Certified Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I recently got OW certified, and went to Grand Cayman for our first 'real' dives.

When we went out, our dives were ~ 100ft for the first, and 60 ~ for the second tank - every day. My deepest was 112 ft (with others being 109ft and 104ft).

Now that I am looking to go diving in other places - I want to dive walls at 100 or so ft, but have noticed that some places require AOW, or an experienced OW.

So if I go to Cozumel, will they want to see an AOW to go on their deeper dives?

Also, was it 'unsafe' for us to be going that deep on our first excursion?

Ugh, I want so bad to believe you are not a troll!

Anyway, I do feel that dives to 100ft and greater, ecspecially wall dives, are to advanced for a newly certified diver fresh out of training. There is plenty to look at above 60ft. Until you have some dives under your belt, have mastered the skills, and have the training, I would not go deeper than that.

Oh, and if you are not a troll, please do not take offense to my reply. This just seemed like a question that a troll might post to get an arguement going.

There are those in Cozumel that will let you go about anywhere. IMO, 100 ft is too deep for a novice.

IMO, if you feel the need to ask, you are not ready.

How much gas was in your tank when you got back on the boat?

Would that have been enough reserve to solve a problem at 100 ft?

And people want to blame the agencies for all the incompetence we see today in diving. How do we convince divers they need more training when an OW card gets them on any dive?

If I sound frustrated it's because I am. The card or what someone will or will not let you do should not be the issue. The issue is understanding you limits and extending them slowly and in a controled fasion.

IMO, if you do not have a good idea of what your limits are you should not dive again until you find out

Bear in mind that I am only OW with 50 dives, AOW is in progress at the moment.

I've done a good few dives to 25-30 meters (80-100 feet) in the red sea.

The water was warm, the vis was excellent. Most times we had a bottom at 35 meters. We were diving every day.

I've done a hand ful of dives in cold murky conditions with low vis.

For my money, I felt a lot safer at 30 meters in good vis and warm water than in the murk at 20 meters with strong tidal currents.

My buddy and I left the group and did or own thing on the thistlegorm at 30 meters (pre arranged) in the red sea. Not sure I'd be happy doing the same on a wreck here.

The individual conditions of a dive can add greatly to the danger involved.

BE AWARE crystal clear water brings it's own dangers. It's VERY easy to be a lot deeper than you planned unless you constantly check.

Just my tuppence worth.

Basic OW - 60 ft
Advanced OW - 100ft (if you did the deep specialty dive)
Deep Speciality - 130ft (140 ft in an emergency)

It seems that many of the dive groups in the Carib play fast and loose with the rules. Maybe it is the unlimited vis and warm water, but up here in the great lakes - you wouldn't find many charter operatiors letting you go to 100 without an AOW.

My personal opinion - brand new divers should not be diving to 100ft unless accompied by an instructor - and a DM is not an instructor......

Once again - Mike is right!

JamesK - not exactly sure what you mean by a troll, but my question is genuine.

BE AWARE crystal clear water brings it's own dangers. It's VERY easy to be a lot deeper than you planned unless you constantly check.

Boy that is true. We were following the DM through some swim-throughs, and came out of the wall looking into the ABYSS below. It was awesome. My wife pointed out how deep we were - I didn't even realize it (on our first dive).

How much gas was in your tank when you got back on the boat?

Would that have been enough reserve to solve a problem at 100 ft?

Good questions. These were more 'multi-level' as opposed to deep. It was 100ft for 15min, and 60ft for 15min (or so) then safety stop.

One dive in particular I had to do a CESA as I ran out of air about 30 seconds into my safety stop. It was due to a 'sticky' gauge - it said I had 500psi - but it was out.

I was on the boat all other dives with about 800psi.

Addict once bubbled...
Now that I am looking to go diving in other places - I want to dive walls at 100 or so ft, but have noticed that some places require AOW, or an experienced OW.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe every agency sets a limit of 60ft for a basic openwater diver. Your BOW certification is like a learner's permit to dive. The limits for an AOW is 130', and it is recommended not to exceed 100'. I am surprised that these limits were not discussed during your openwater class.

I am a strong advocate of "diving within your training" and I feel that divers should continue their education to match the type of diving they intend to do.

Addict once bubbled...
One dive in particular I had to do a CESA as I ran out of air about 30 seconds into my safety stop. It was due to a 'sticky' gauge - it said I had 500psi - but it was out.

Imagine if that had happened at 100'... That is one of the reasons for advanced classes. Training you how to deal with situations and making you aware of the potential dangers so that you can more easily avoid them.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

Imagine if that had happened at 100'... That is one of the reasons for advanced classes. Training you how to deal with situations and making you aware of the potential dangers so that you can more easily avoid them.

Imagine if that had happened at 100' in one of those swim throughs!

These are very good points. But when I questioned in the past (about 100ft), I have received the response that 60ft is a 'soft' line for OW. Meaning that there are NO restrictions for OW to go 100ft. I think it is in the PADI manual that 60ft=OW beginners, 100ft=OW experienced, 130ft=AOW. So I was left with the vague impression that OW can get you to 100, once you are 'experienced'. 'Experienced' is not defined.

Is this wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom