• I get narced, but I am unaware of it

Votes: 19 17.8%
  • I never, ever get narced

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • 1 meter (for Walter)

Votes: 8 7.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually felt noticeably narced for the first time ever on a 100ft dive this past weekend diving a wreck in Lake Superior. It was my second dive of the day.

look out for the narc police.

DUI (diving under the influence), :mean:

Putting NetDoc's shoulder theory into practical use we can standardize the Term Narced and even break it down into "Degrees of Narc".
First of all we need a control....Almost all boats have them...One Aluminun 80 tank.
Step one: Slam full tank down on right foot 30 seconds before your giant stride. "First degree of Narc" is when the agonizing pain is reduced to a trobing pain. "Second Degree" is when the throbe goes to a dull ache. "Third Degree" is when the pain goes away. "TOTAL NARC" is when you want to surface just so you can slam the tank on your foot again.
Using this scale you can accurately identify and decribe just how far along you were. This will also help in story telling.
Imagine your buddy saying " Dude ....You were Totally Narced!". You could accurately reply ..."Wrong you were my friend...it only felt like a 3."
OK...OK I admit that I am starting to loose it...I need to get wet....WoooHooo. Four days until vacation. "Holiday to the rest of the world"

I start feeling the first signs of narcossis when I get to around 40 meters. Nevertheless I performed complex task deeper than this with no real problem.

I guess that I can feel it coming which makes me more vonventrated on one hand and sends me to shalower waters ASAP.

Ari :)

Evereyone is somewhat impared by 100ft.. On OC I start FEELING the narcosis somewhere between 160-170 ft on my rb I feel it around 150ish.. There are some broken up wrecks that I can easily navigate (130ft) when I have He in the mix that require much more effort to do when diving without He.

AT these depths I definately want to use trimix(in fact on my RB almost every dive when at home has helium in it) but its not always available... Overlearning skills to the point they are automatic is probably the only thing that prevents more accidents..

I have done photography dives on my Rb at 220 (My end is higher than an OC diver)on Air dluent and they still came out correctly.. Managing my Rb plus the camera took considerable effort.. I had to "focus" on each task at hand.. definately not the preferred way of diving.. I KNOW my reasoning and reaction time were considerably impared but not yet to the level where I couldn't function just what I'd prefer it to be.

Don't _feel_ narced at 100ft, which is pretty much where I have spent most of my deeper dives. Was at 130ft last weekend and was beginning to notice some narcosis.

I don't think anybody is ever narced...until something goes wrong, and then it could be too late.

Happened to me once at 40m in a quarry with water at 2C while doing a work-up dive for my CMAS three-star. I suddenly noticed somebody's reg was free-flowing. The water was so cold that regs often free-flow there but I inspected both my buddies' regs before it slowly sank in that it was mine and that the pressure gauge needle was dropping VERY rapidly. But I was too narced and 'detached' to be alarmed. It was like trying to think with my brain wrapped in cotton wool. It's only afterwards that the shakes kicked in and I was able to realise just how badly affected I was. Scary but a valuable learning experience.

:eek:ut:

Irishdiver once bubbled...
I don't think anybody is ever narced...until something goes wrong, and then it could be too late.

Happened to me once at 40m in a quarry with water at 2C while doing a work-up dive for my CMAS three-star.

Wow, that is a deeeep quarry. The deepest I've dove so far was about 10m (30 feet) at the deeepest point.:)

Walter once bubbled...
And all this time, I thought it was:

1 m = 3.28084 ft
1 ft = .3048 m

Signifant digits?

Anyway, didn't read past Walter's post yet,cause it sruck the engineering chord in me.

Fair amount of dives to the 80-95 ft range and a couple over 100. Don't feel it, but I'm sure it's there. It's probably got to d with that

"I like Beer":cheers: thing. I'm sure I am but just don't recognize it.

Still got a couple more O/W on a deep specialty. One of the things is the timed activity. Going to ask the instructor to really try to push it so I can tell what's going on, and see if I can ascertain what psychomotor skills it's really affecting.

I know it'll probaly elicit some response, but given my conservative safety nature, I don't think it's affecting that fight or flight response. I have a bit of a "head for the shed before it's too late" mechanism that seems to be built in. I just hope I don't have to test that to the limit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom