Depth rating fudge factors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost.Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at getting into underwater digtal but I am also leading my training towards the deep to include mix. One thing about most of the camera housings I have seen, at least the 'normal' range is they are limited to about 100-130'. I have considered the Sea and Sea DX3000 since it is rated to 200' but for about the same price, I can get the Oly 5050 and a housing. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the Oly 5050 is a 5 MP camera and the Sea and Sea is 3.34 MP. That to me is a no brainer as far as camera quality goes. But the PT-015 is rated to 130' I believe. Now, I'm not looking for a housing that's rated to Titanic depths but I would like to feel comfortable bringing it down to 165-200'.

My question to all you PT-0xx housing users is, have you gone past the depth rating and by how much and did you feel comfortable in doing so or did you have a lift bag attached to the camera so at the first sign of flooding you could send it the the surface like a rocket?

As a side note, I've seen the majority of people using Oly cameras here. Like I said, I am getting into digital UW. On land I am a fairly decent photographer I think using both Canon, Nikon SLR's and a cheap Toshiba digital that was given to me. Any suggestions as to what camera/housing to go for? There is no question that I will enjoy UW photography, so I really dont want to start out on the low end as a 'lets see if I like this' setup first, (i've got enough gear now that's like that...) But, I'm in no way going to be a pro photographer so mega buck setups are not really in the plan.

You should also check Ikelite, Gates, and Amphibico. I believe their housings are rated for 200+.

As for the camera, don't let yourself be swayed by mega pixels too much - noise, color, chromatic abheration, and barrel distortion are all important factors too.

I would choose the camera first, but not buy it, and then choose the housing. Make sure the housing offers all the functions you want, and then if you find a match you like, _then_ buy the camera.

For the record, I have a Sony DSC-F717. An excellent camera with low noise levels (in the prosumer range), very realistic colors, low chromatic abheration and barrel distortion. Of couse, it doesn't compare to a dSLR with a good lens! :) Had I shopped for the housing at the same time, I might have chosen a different camera. The Gates housing for the F717 is a little expensive, and the Ikelite (which I own), doesn't offer manual focusing or the ability to use a wide angle wet lens.

If you have the cash, I would suggest looking into a dSLR like the Canon 10D. The picture quality is a magnitude above the comsumer or prosumer level.

LateR!
js.

If I may offer a suggestion. If going digital, I'd buy a spare camera. The world of digital cameras moves and changes much faster than the film world, just like the rest of the computer industry.
I have an aquaintance who bought a high end digital camera and a housing for it that cost as much as the camera. A couple of years later, camera is dead, may not be possbile to get it fixed and of course they don't make that model anymore. So he's got a real nice housing and nothing to put in it. I don't remember the make & model, but he's currently scouring E-bay, etc looking for used ones.

Groundhog246 once bubbled...
The world of digital cameras moves and changes much faster than the film world, just like the rest of the computer industry.

That's really the whole reason I dont want to spend a fortune on camera. That and if the camera floods at some point, I'll be SOL if the camera/housing are not being manufactured anymore.

As for the camera, don't let yourself be swayed by mega pixels too much - noise, color, chromatic abheration, and barrel distortion are all important factors too.

The main reason I am looking at MP's is for printing. I would like to print good images up to 8*10 maybe 11*14 it is really good. But I would still like the colors to be true

Yea, I'd love to get my hands on a dSLR but that's a little pricey for me right now.

I'll check out the Sony also.

Hello,

If memory serves me correctly

Ikelite 200' but not recomended to that depth.

Ocean Imaging Systems 600' but more suited for ROV's

Benthos 3,000 feet

Sealife has 100 and 200 foot systems that I know of.

Ocean Bright is 300 feet

Aquavideo is 300 feet

Some company made a housing for the Nik V for deeeeep work, don't recall the name of the product or the company.

Aquatica 300 feet

Lights and Motion 200 feet

Oceanhaus 300 feet, custom to over 600 feet

Hope this helps.

Ed

the deeper your pockets will probably need to be!

I got a custom housing for my DCS-85 and the normal housings were rated for 40m but I wanted 60m which cost about another $150.

Jonathan

jsmoriss,

That thing looks sweeeeeeeet. Man, to have that cash to drop on that AND still be able to dive. Oh wait Fathers day is coming up......... Oh Honey......
:)

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom