• Head first

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Depends on mood/situation

Votes: 58 34.5%
  • Other (sideways?)

Votes: 43 25.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian once bubbled...
This puts me into a natural horizontal position within the first 2 ft of the descent. I stay in this position until the end of the dive ...
Don't you get bored with the missionary position?

For me part of the enjoyment of diving is the ability to move in 3 dimensions, while also being able to pitch and roll at will. If I drift over a ledge or dropoff, more likely than not I'll go head down, exhale to descend, and let the current flip me heels over head while I look under the ledge. Then a simple roll then leaves me facing upstream, out of the current, facing the ledge.

Actually, I do "snap rolls" to keep from hitting things (and out of boredom, I am a top notch swimmer). I will roll onto my back frequently as well and look up to watch my bubbles go to the surface in my more zen-like moments (also handy to keep track of that annoying dive buddy who insists on swimming in my baffles).

I get nervous about getting my posture head first at too much an angle in a drysuit. If the air builds up in the feet then I have to tuck and roll to stop a sudden, anticipated ascent. I certainly know how to do it, but I don't like to force myself to do it when it can be avoided.

Yes, I do use all three dimensions, LOL. I am just conservative about it. Thanks for the idea.

diverbrian once bubbled...
I get nervous about getting my posture head first at too much an angle in a drysuit. If the air builds up in the feet then I have to tuck and roll to stop a sudden, anticipated ascent
Sounds like a pretty good reason to limit head up attitude. As a warm water wuss aka Al80/80F diver that hadn't occurred to me.

My post was just a slightly mistargeted, hopefully humorous, jab at the "horizontal at all times" mantra.

Here is what I find works very well...

Start with feet first - you cover the least surface area that way and it's really easy to start the descent. At the same time bend your knees and point your fin tips down - this will create even less drag.

Once I'm a few feet down I would switch to a horizontal position. That way

(1) you can see where you are going
(2) you cover more surface are slowing your descent and making it easier to equalize.

M

Depends on the situation...
If the vis is poor then feet first or horizontal. If it's a strong current than head first.

Horizontal actually - I'm facing where I'm going, can turn my head, roll on my back or sideways or whatever to find the buddy/group. I dive dry, so feet up is a pain in the head - i.e. that dry hood CAN get really hard to equalize!! I can sink as fast (get to depth ASAP) or slow as I want and it's easy to slow down or stop if necessary.

Most of the time I'm head down & steaming to the bottom, works best for getting out of the current as well as the food chain.
I don't overweight myself enough to do a decent horizontal, and a feet first is out of the question (unless I'm hardhatting it).

Big-t-2538,

"why are you doing a head first descent on SCUBA anyway"

If it's your job to tie off on a wreck in current, you'll miss the wreck if you aren't doing a quick head first descent.

"seems like a good way to get a tank in the back of the head"

Why?

MarcHall,

"At the surface, in a vertical position to easily dump the air out of the BC that has been used to provided floatation."

Why did you put all that air in your BC in the first place?

It probably depends on the purpose for the dive, if with a class or newer divers I might be in a heads up position to make it easier to watch all who are with me. If its my turn to pull the hook out of a rock then its a head down kicking descent. If I might be solo and just enjoyong myself then its the glider ride in a circle, my favorite way to watch the bottom come into view.
Bill Dive Safe....and often

What the hell are you talking about???

"The ear canal is best positioned in a vertical position for clearing your ears. If you have difficulty clearing your ears, remain in the feet first position. Descending rapidly head first can cause equalization problems for many people."

do your feet descend faster than your head ( i'm imagining a subspace "wormhole" effect with the feet going to the bottom then the rest kinda catching up). you'll find that descending head first will solve a lot of clearing probs because as you tilt yuor head back it open the tubes if you put your head on your chest it closes them.

Back
Top Bottom