Desiccant: High or Low?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have a very small place, and a very small bathroom where we hang our dive gear out to dry. I've been using calcium carbonate desiccant in one of those pots that suspends the desiccant over a tub to collect the water it pulls out of the air. I know that hot air rises, but also that humid air is more dense than dry air, so...

Will my desiccant pot be more effective if I put it way up high on a shelf near the ceiling, or down on the floor?

I honestly don't think your desiccant is helping much at all unless you have a really massive amount of it and I'm talking massive. You'd be better off just putting a fan in the bathroom to circulate the air and dry things that way.

Dry dive gear is depressing, why encourage it?

Vapor pressure has a mind of it's own and to the extent that it will work I don't think it's terribly position sensitive.

In my day job I work with a lot of drying process. Air movement is paramount.

Pete

Well, when I had a fan on it, the tub filled up with water a lot quicker, that's for sure. And I can tell that even with the small amount I'm using, the gear does get dry faster with the desiccant. I realize that the difference would probably be so minute as to be insignificant; I was just asking because I was curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom