Desperately need a better 7mm wetsuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used one of these (really, it's a semi-dry) a few times and it was GREAT for winter diving here in AZ (chilly, fresh water in the mid- to upper 50s) A bunch of the instructors and DMs I dive with use the same suit. They are very warm, very little leakage with remarkable stretch throughout. Nearly idenitcal suit is sold under Aqualung branding.

I have one and I like it, but no, it is not a semi-dry nor does it claim to be.

It does look like one and has decent seals, but the water does fully penetrate the suite within a matter of a few minutes. In a proper semi-dry, water will only penetrate part of the way even after a 60 minute dive leaving a layer of air next to your skin on your core. A proper semi-dry is also a lot most costly, more difficult to don/doff and fit is critical.

Hey fellas,

Not to deviate from the topic, but of the semi-dry suits available now- which do you recommend? Like the fella who started this thread, I'm looking for a new suit. I'm leaning towards an ONeill J-Series but the Henderson thermoprene semi-dry looks good also.

I almost always dive with a hooded vest under either my 3/2 or my 7 mm wetsuits. The only time I don't use one is when I'm diving in the tropics. Water temps here in SoCal range from upper 40s to upper 70s (El Nino years).

Hey fellas,

Not to deviate from the topic, but of the semi-dry suits available now- which do you recommend? Like the fella who started this thread, I'm looking for a new suit. I'm leaning towards an ONeill J-Series but the Henderson thermoprene semi-dry looks good also.
The Mares Isotherm I bought a couple of winters ago was essentially a drysuit when new. It did admit a little water after some heavy use but still very warm. Two complaints. however:

1.- The Mares suit is real tight across my shoulders. But going the next size up, the suit was just huge on me. And still tight across my shoulders. I think it's sized to fit little Europeans. :D

2.- The price has really gone up on these suits. So much so that I probably wouldn't buy another, considering the sizing issue I had.

What about the ScubaPro Novi Nova Scotia or the Cressi semi dry Atlantis or ice? Any experience with these? I bought a Novia Scotia, but had to sell on eBay because the size was one too small. Never got to dive in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom