Determining a BC's Fit Out of the Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nudgeroni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be in the market soon for a bc, and I am strongly considering the Zeagle Stiletto. My preference would be to rent it first, but the first couple of LDSs I called in my area (Central CT) don't have it available to rent. So, I may have to purchase it without diving it first.

I trust the reputation of the Stiletto, and I feel confident that it suits my diving needs (simple, back inflating, durable, suitable for cold water, travels well). What I don't know is how well it will fit-- and fit is key. (BTW, I am 5'7" and 162 lb.)

I'll be trying the bc on in a shop, and want to know if folks here have any advice on things to look for, or things to look out for. How best should I determine the fit of the bc out of the water?

Thanks for the input.

If you have a good LDS, getting fit out of the water should not be a problem. If you try on a couple of sizes, you will know which ones do not fit, or feel well on you. Of course, it would be better if you could dive the BC. Maybe your LDS would let you try out a display model in the pool?

Nudgeroni:
I trust the reputation of the Stiletto, and I feel confident that it suits my diving needs (simple, back inflating, durable, suitable for cold water, travels well). What I don't know is how well it will fit-- and fit is key. (BTW, I am 5'7" and 162 lb.)

Thanks for the input.

I am 5'10 173 and I own a stilletto size large. It seems to fit skinny guys better than any other bc I have tried on. There is soo much flexibility in their system that you can adjust it to fit as your weight fluctuates. You can alse buy different components in different sizes to get a "tailored" fit.

For me it's either that or a bp/w I will more than likely get a bp/w for a doubles setup, but the stilleto is great for travel.

Give me your waist size and your shoulder-to-waist measurement and I can get you a pretty good idea what size you will need.

To get your shoulder-to-waist measurement, have someone measure from the base of your neck (seventh vertebrae) down your back to your belt line.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks for the input everyone; I am getting more confidence with the purchase (even if the pool tryout doesn't work).

Scott: Thanks for your offer. One of the things that most impresses me about Zeagle is the attention you give to your customers. I'll PM my measurements this evening, and also throw in my wife's (Lazor for her).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom