DFG Cites Poacher For Harvesting Giant Sea Bass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Ken Kurtis from the diver.net forums said it best:
"Should have left this a-hole's face visible and blurred out the fishes face. The innocent victim here is the fish, not the fisherman. - Ken"

One of the saddest pictures ive ever seen, Im with fnfalman......And he should wear the head for a month....I made my dog drag around some shoes for a month and he never ate another one......and either did the other dogs we had....I hope its alot more than $600....

Last edited:
I too don't believe for a minute he was ignorant of the law on this. He should pay the max and participate in some beach cleanups for a year.

This is the second time a GSB has been illegally speared - that I am aware...One in San Diego and now one in Orange County. Both culprits claimed they were unaware that spearing the fish was illegal

Why not create something positive from this tragedy ?

Perhaps an educational event for all divers?.
** As simple as a letter to all diving clubs?
** Or posters placed at he popular dive locations?
** Or announcements in California Diver and or California Diving News?
HOW ABOUT IT?

sdm

Wow, you literally have to have your head up your a$$ to not know that it is illegal to fish these docile creatures. I have been diving in So Cal since May 2010 and have yet to see one of these. Now that is one less chance for me to see one.

If the state raised the fine on spearing these fish, then they could pay for more wardens!

I'm confused as to why his face is blurred. His mug should be printed up and in most every local dive/sports store as a certified douche.

There was an effort a few years ago by most dive shops, California Diving News and marinas after a GSB was speared at Calalina. The only way to stop this is to increase fines and get judges who actually invoke them. If the fine was hefty enough, maybe poachers would actually pay attention to the fact that they should know what they are shooting before they do it. The guys who gaffed the GSB off Balboa Pier last year were fined $75 and ordered to clean beaches for three weeks. I think $10,000 would have been more appropriate.

Steve_Madaras_Speard_Giant_Black_Sea_Bass_at_Catalina.jpg

GSBReward.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom