Diabetes and Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlscozz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Alright conch divers, help me out. My son is 16 years old and has an open water certification. He is a Type 1 insulin dependant diabetic and has had diabetes for 11 years. Our instructor for AOW will not certify him for depth/time/vis concerns and I am fine with that. I would not want to put my son in danger or open liability to our instructor. I am just wondering what other diabetics have been through and certifications obtained to discuss with my son. Thanks, Scozz

Is that because he is a diabetic or some other issue? I know of a diver that is in the same boat as your son, (pardon the pun) but got medical clearance from her doctor to dive.

No, he is in excellent physical condition, high school dive and swim team and great overall health. I have not checked into a medical clearance though. We discussed the OW with his endocrinologist after he was certified but never brought up the AOW.

I am assuming that the instructor knows about his diabetes. It could be just a lack of knowledge on your instructors part.Not that I am knocking the instructor. Talk to his instructor and see if that sheds any light on the situation. Then take it from there. If I can be of any help let me know. I can put you in touch with the person I know.

Part of the problem is for a long time the dive industry automatically disqualified diabetics from diving. That has changed and it's now a case by case basis. If your son's doctor cleared him for OW diving, then there should be no concerns with AOW. The medical clearance form doesn't differentiate between the 2 and doesn't have any depth limitations stated on it. If he's been cleared to dive by a doctor who is knowledgeable in diving practices, then I don't see an issue with it.

Just FYI, I'm type 1, on an insulin pump and controlled diabeties. I have medical clearance from my doctor, she has filled out all the forms from PADI for me. I was cleared to start DM training. I think two things are at hand here. One is your son needs medical clearance and two EDUCATION. Education for your doctor (most have no idea about scuba) and Education for your instructor (most have BIG missinformation about diabeties).

I think it would be best for both your doctor AND your instructor to place a little call into DAN, they have done studies for decades on diabeties and diving and have guidelines in place , etc.

Safe dives and good luck,
Jeremy

Ditto to what JKSteger said. My girlfriend is insulin dependent and also wears an insulin pump. She has over 150 dives, many of which were deco dives. She is about to start her closed-circuit rebreather training.

Many instructors are just ignorant when it comes to diabetes.

I think of AOW as the second requisite course for all divers. I beleive everyone should take it regardless of what type of diving they do. Perhaps educating your intructor is one way of getting your son in AOW. I am not a fan of instructor shopping, but the training is important. Perhaps finding an instructor who will take the diabetes in consideration and instruct your son.

Thank you all for the replies. The funny thing is my instructor is a Type 2 Diabetic. My son is Type 1 and on an insulin pump and his control fluctuates. I will talk to the instructor again and see what the specific problem is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom