Did a little buggin' Tuesday evening...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

California Spiny, Panulirus interruptus

They are much darker than their caribbean cousins.

Nice! Local laws won't allow us to do that over here in Maine. In case I go somewhere that allows me to capture one of those critters, what's the trick to "catching one and bringing it to shore?...bob

And why weren't we all invited to dinner ;-) ?? Seriously, nice catch, Teej!jennifer

2-5 lbs. Yes that's a limit.

That's a quarter on the back of the center one, with my computer on the left, for size.

costi:
Nice! Local laws won't allow us to do that over here in Maine. In case I go somewhere that allows me to capture one of those critters, what's the trick to "catching one and bringing it to shore?...bob

Grab it and put it in your bag. Reach for a good grip on the carapace where it meets the tail. With a big bug, a second grip on the knuckles of the antennae is good until you get them under control. Good neoprene gloves are nice to pad the points. Each segment of the tail has a sharp point on the sides, when they slap, you'll get jabbed, but this can work to your advantage, if you're properly prepared. Try not to grab legs and antennae, they usually just break off. Hesitation usually leads to failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom