Did I just find a hens tooth or make a mistake? (Conshelf din adapter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
I got this as a "US Divers din adapter" and snatched it up because I had the seller send me a pic of the inside of the reg end in the threads knowing there was some Oring involved in there if it was really a conshelf adapter.
Anyone that has actually seen one maybe identify it from these pics?
din adapter.jpg din adapter2.jpg din adapter3.jpg

Comparing your pictures to those of the DIN adapter in the Conshelf XIV service manual (attached), it would seem like what you have purchased is a Conshelf DIN adapter.

These are very unsafe to use...you should send it to me for proper disposal. PM me for shipping address.

-Z

Attachments

• conshelf_xiv.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
:D
I have been looking for one of these for several years actually. Its one of the reasons I snagged several old style titan 1st's to use with my conshelf 14 seconds, the din and supreme kits are much more available for them (I actually have 3 old style titan din supreme's now.)
I think I know of a dive shop that still has 2 NOS 14 supreme's with yokes in his display case, they are so many years old now I should ask if he still wants the same ridiculous price for them if they are still there that he did several years ago.
I actually watch ebay for supreme's and din stuff since its so obnoxious to find, but its always listed so poorly you sometimes just have to plug in "us divers" or "aqualung" and go line by line.

It's even more interesting if you just plug in "scuba", and go line by line.
But you need a bottle and a glass by your side.
Kind of fun to score a find every once in awhile.

Nice find!
Have been looking for a Conshelf DIN Adapter for years.
Up to now I found only one, and that seems not to be an original U.S. Divers sanctioned one......
P1060283.JPG
P1060297.JPG

Strangely I wanna say I have seen a similar one before that I think was an early one developed specifically by the Royal Navy.
If that’s a din supreme from the UK that’s likely the case.

I didn't know they were rare, I have one of those din adapters and a envrio sealed conshelf laying in a box in my basement.

They might have been common back in the day when you could still order them new, thought never really in the USA, but finding one that isn’t already attached to a regulator that isn’t for sale is near impossible now.
A conshelf supreme din would sell within a few hours of being listed almost anywhere for sure. And probably for a ridiculous price.

Half the problem is the near mystical reputation the conshelf 14 has (they don’t actually perform all that amazing) and the fact that most of them seem to have been sold in the USA with yokes.
It was WAY easier and cheaper for me to put together a set of three old style titan supreme din regulators. Still I couldn’t pass up this din adapter since I still have a shiny new conshelf 14 first and three shiny new really late 14 second stages (on the Titans at the moment) that I like because the late ones had the plug opposite the hose that makes setup a whole hell of a lot easier for people like me that don’t rebuild stuff enough to have a good feel for it. Basically you can adjust lever height with the cover still on through the plug hole.
I read somewhere that really late 14 firsts had an extra lp port or a normal size hp port or some such change (I forget now) but mine is late enough to have the “14” instead of XIV label and it still has the same ports. Later conshelfs had more I think but the only site I knew of that had a list of conshelf first and second stage models and changes dissspeared years ago.

I know very little about us divers regs. Could you identify and roughly value what I have from a picture?
I only have one conshelf, it came with some other regs and has been sitting in a drawer for at least a decade.

They might have been common back in the day when you could still order them new, thought never really in the USA, but finding one that isn’t already attached to a regulator that isn’t for sale is near impossible now.
A conshelf supreme din would sell within a few hours of being listed almost anywhere for sure. And probably for a ridiculous price.

Half the problem is the near mystical reputation the conshelf 14 has (they don’t actually perform all that amazing) and the fact that most of them seem to have been sold in the USA with yokes.
It was WAY easier and cheaper for me to put together a set of three old style titan supreme din regulators. Still I couldn’t pass up this din adapter since I still have a shiny new conshelf 14 first and three shiny new really late 14 second stages (on the Titans at the moment) that I like because the late ones had the plug opposite the hose that makes setup a whole hell of a lot easier for people like me that don’t rebuild stuff enough to have a good feel for it. Basically you can adjust lever height with the cover still on through the plug hole.
I read somewhere that really late 14 firsts had an extra lp port or a normal size hp port or some such change (I forget now) but mine is late enough to have the “14” instead of XIV label and it still has the same ports. Later conshelfs had more I think but the only site I knew of that had a list of conshelf first and second stage models and changes dissspeared years ago.

Conshelf XIVs had 3 LP ports and 1 HP port. They were all 3/8 in. The first 2 digits of the serial number is the year of manufacture.

Conshelf 20 and 21 have 4 LP ports and 1 HP port. The HP port is the bigger now standard size. Serial numbers are a mix of letters and numbers. I don't know how they reflect year of manufacture.

Your Conshelf 14 should have 3 LP ports and the bigger HP port. If it has a 3/8 in HP port, it might actually be a XIV body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom