Did I "miss the boat"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

docwats

Reaction score
Ok here is the story. Learning to dive is on my life long list of things to do. Between wifes, ex wifes, jobs and kids just havn't gotten it done yet. So here i am 44 years old fairly sound medically but probably a bit out of shape, smoker since i don't know when but i don't need an inhaler or oxygen bottle yet. Do i still have a chance to cross this on off my list and enjoy it for a few years or should i take up golf?:confused:

The only reason it is call that is because all the other four letter words were taken anyway.

Then quit smoking and take up diving and spend the rest of you life crossing it off the list. I know of an 80+ year old that is still diving...

You are a lot earlier than I was by 10 years. Diving is another addiction you can take up and it makes the Ex's a lot easier to deal with.
Good Luck and give it a try.
Dive Safe,
Larry

I have to belive that diving is one of those sports that you are never to old to do. I am 40 and have just really gotten into it over the last several years. The last open water class I helped with had a guy who was 70. Little slow on things but he did complete it all. Put your mind to it and enjoy it like the rest of us. You will have a blast. When you figure out how to kick that smoking thing let me know, I would like to try it. Good luck and welcome to the underwater world.

As the old Alka-Seltzer commercials said: "Try it, you'll like it"

I started diving at age 44 a couple years ago, and I am loving it. I am not a smoker, but we (almost) all wish that we were a couple pounds lighter and in a little better shape. Don't let your age stop you. Of course you would be better off without the cigarettes, but you didn't ask for a sermon. I dove with a guy last week who is 58 and has been diving for over 40 years. One of the local dive clubs (San Jose Flipper Dippers) has a number of active members that are over 60.

I have dove in Monterey CA and Florida and Cozumel, and as the kids say "It's all good!".

Find a good dive shop in your area, and learn to dive. Explore the other 70% of the planet.

Wristshot:babble:

Your story and mine are the same. I was certified about three months ago the day before my 46th birthday. If you, like me, had a life-long wish to dive, then do it! But stay away from golf. It's dangerous. The mortality rate among non-smoking, non-multiply-divorced golfers is 100%! Can't argue with statistics.

Go out and give diving a try!
Phil

I was certified when I was in my teens (late 60's - GASP), dove for a number of years, than gave it up until I got re-certifed a couple of years ago. You do the math. I've been having a blast.:mean:

I am 55 yrs old and just started to dive. It is somthing I always wanted to do. My 15 yr. old son got certified last summer and encoughed me to dive.
I also have stsrted to bike ride in the last few years. Think nothing of 60 km rides.
I do not want to fade away like a lot of my friends are doing. They get older and use it for an excuss to drink, eat and get fat.
Go Diving!!

My husband I just started diving last year. We are both over 55. Our over all fitness level has improved quite a bit in the past year. I have been motivated to lose 38 pounds and am in the best shape in years. Now, I have to stay that way to be able to fit into my new size 6 wetsuit!We are both enjoying our diving and have finally found an active activity which we can do together. (golf just did not work for me)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom