Did I "miss the boat"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started at 52.....

OK OK you convinced me. Thanks to all for your comments. Now I guess I have no ecxuse so its on to step two. Deciding wich dive shop to got to for training.....

You did not miss the boat. I plan on diving until I can't dive anymore, then I will find a way to keep on diving. Two pieces of very serious advice: First, Quit Smoking!! Second, Start a regular schedule of physical activity that gets your heart rate up for at least 20 min. a day for 3-4 days a week. For guys our age, physical conditioning is a piece of safety equipment. When I was 20-30 I could dive and call on "youth" when I needed it. I would feel very uncomfortable diving now without the confidense that my body would respond in an emergency. I have had to "assist" younger divers who got in a bind simply because they were out of shape. I guarantee you that at 44 you will feel some adverse effects, especially because you smoke, even if you don't run into a physical exertion situation.

Barracuda2

docwats once bubbled (actually murmured as he's not yet a diver)...
Ok here is the story. Learning to dive is on my life long list of things to do. Between wifes, ex wifes, jobs and kids just havn't gotten it done yet. So here i am 44 years old fairly sound medically but probably a bit out of shape, smoker since i don't know when but i don't need an inhaler or oxygen bottle yet. Do i still have a chance to cross this on off my list and enjoy it for a few years or should i take up golf?:confused:

Fear not, and git yer arse in gear. I didn't do my first dive till I wuz 50, and in the last 7 years I've sampled wrecks, reefs and caves.

A friend of mine in Fla is in his early 60's and can outperform almost any diver I know in terms of dive skills. I was amazed the first time I saw him hold a perfect safety stop in a good ocean current in a lotus position without moving a muscle. When the time was up he just lifted his head, glanced at his computer, and motioned thumb up to me. He's no boat monkey but he's still the guy who goes down to tie us into wrecks in raunchy currents and lousy viz. He smokes, is diabetic, and has three ex-wives and a handfull of university degrees to his credit.

But don't forget the golf too. It's a great excuse for walking a few miles and loosening up muscles. An even better excuse for a few beers later. I get more cotton-mouthed from golf than from diving. The diving is handy around the 19th tee. I regale the other "golfers" with tales of dive derring-do. They think I'm crazy, with stories of sharks and caves and big-arsed eels. I do not share the truth, that diving is probably no more dangerous than golf if you are properly trained, sensible, and maintain yer gear properly.

Go for it & have a ball
JF

Drop the driver and step away from the ball!

Hmmm...having fun with your friends and seeing things that topsiders will never see...or looking goofy in old mans pants with a funny hat? Go diving man! I'm plannin on still diving when I get into my 40's and beyond!

I quit smoking last August...two months after I got my OW cert. Learning scuba was actually one of my motivations to quit smoking.

PaulB once bubbled...
Go diving man! I'm plannin on still diving when I get into my 40's and beyond!

I'm half way through my 50s and thinking that with a bit og luck I'll STILL be doing this in 25 or 30 years!

52 now and getting back into Scuba after a long break has motivated me to get back into the gym on a regular basis.

Result is I am probably as fit now as when I left the army MANY years ago.

I plan to be diving for a looong time.

Back
Top Bottom