Did NOT complete OW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome aboard and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, much of advice that you have already been given is about as accurate and honest as is possible to get. Only you can decide if diving is truly for you or not. Just being able to do the skills to satisify the requirements of a class is one thing, but to be able to do them in a real world situation when you are not working within the relative safety of a pool or without an instructor looking on is something else. Fortunately you are not the first person to experience these problems. It may just take you a bit more time to become more comfortable with them. Just take work in baby steps, remember, there is no rush to finish the class in record time. Take your time and get all that you can out of the learning experience and remember, OW is just the beinning. Good luck and dive safe!

Hi. I just completed my open water classroom work and confined water dives. I was concerned about breathing thru a regulator with my face uncovered since I had never done it before.

Before the class I actually practiced in the bathtub. Buck naked, face down in the tub with a snorkel in my mouth and breathing. I wonder what my wife would have thought if she had walked in on me while I was practicing! I had snorkeled plenty previously and I reminded myself that when the mask is on you don't try to breath thru your nose so I just imagined myself as having the mask on when I was barefaced and bare-*****ed in the tub.

When we did the skill in the pool it was then a piece of cake. I'm not too crazy about pool chemicals in my eyes, though. From there, clearing a flooded mask was an easy next step.

good luck whichever route you decide to take.

Edith,
Is that your name? Welcome to the better 2/3rd's of the world, that being the part underwater!
I am also new to the board, but by no means new to diving. I do not agree with instructor's telling OW students on their 1st couple trys that "Perhaps this is not the sport for you". I have witnessed instructors telling OW students this before, their 1st day in the water, and a dear friend of mine who learned how to dive was once told this by her instructor, after suffering several panic issues & having trouble clearing her mask, and it drove her to tears as well. (May I add, she is now a very happy, apt & active diver).
Many years ago, when I learned to dive, OW classes were conducted at a slower pace, it took several weeks of classroom work & confined water & open water training to get your OW certification. Still, at that significantly slower rate, I was not a real natural, and struggled with panic & so forth. Granted, not as severe as yours initially, it took me many dives to ensure that I could get through a whole dive completely relaxed. The one thing I could say, however, is that I was able to realize when I would begin a panic cycle, and I would remember to stop for a moment, relax, and breathe until the panic subsided. I'm sure you know this now, but never consider breaking to the surface as an option when paniced!
Considering my experience learning, it still boggles my mind that any instructor would dismiss, or give up on a diver that cannot take to breathing underwater, or a whole new set of skills, or underwater sign language at the break neck speed that PADI anticipates the nowadays open water student to respond to.
Large classes & tight time frames can make the instructor a bit frustrated when a slower learning diver seems to be "holding up the whole class" & in turn, makes the slower learning diver feel even more nervous, panicky, etc.
It was nice for this instructor, to offer some private time with you to catch you up with the class, and obviously you responded well to 1 on 1 instruction, as you got through your module 1 skills. I think that private instruction may be the way to go for you.
Despite my panicky issues while taking my OW class, I was going to dive come hell or high water. You sound like you have the same resolve, good for you! You mention you feel that the panic is coming from your mind, & you feel confident that you can learn to control that. You can. Some of it however, is a result of some uncertainty & lack of experience or the fact that you have yet to perfect techniques such as clearing your mask. Practice, practice, practice. And if you can, better to do it in the safety of confined water (pool).
Years later, I am now a PADI divemaster, and I have been diving many, many, wonderful places & countries throughout the world. The journey has been incredible, and if you continue to pursue this wonderful sport, trust me it may very well change the course of your life as it did mine! I think you can get through this, you've got the right attitude, and you want it bad, & I think for the right reasons! Keep up the practice, the chin, & good luck!

scubaluv:
The one thing I could say, however, is that I was able to realize when I would begin a panic cycle, and I would remember to stop for a moment, relax, and breathe until the panic subsided. I'm sure you know this now, but never consider breaking to the surface as an option when paniced!

Large classes & tight time frames can make the instructor a bit frustrated when a slower learning diver seems to be "holding up the whole class" & in turn, makes the slower learning diver feel even more nervous, panicky, etc.

It was nice for this instructor, to offer some private time with you to catch you up with the class, and obviously you responded well to 1 on 1 instruction, as you got through your module 1 skills. I think that private instruction may be the way to go for you.

I totally agree with you. I have noticed that I do learn better 1 on 1 or in small groups (not just scuba, but pretty much anything new).

Also "holding up the whole class" doesn't help me at all. I already feel nervous so I'm trying to rush because everyone else seemed to got the skills just fine.

The class I took was a summer one so it was 2 classroom, 3 pool sessions. I'm going to try again in the spring semester (unfortunally I can't take it this fall). That class takes place over a couple months like a normal semester, sure the class will be bigger, but I will have more time in the pool.

If worst comes to worst I will fork over the mula for private lessons. One way or another I'm determined to swim with the fish and discover a whole new world :D Thanks for your advice and everyone elses.

Leah- I'm doing good. I've been practicing a little with the snorkel and pool. I'm still iffy about water going up my nose, but I'll keep working on it until I get it. Thanks. :)

My single hardest item I did in my OW Cert was the mask removal skill. Even after getting certified I was scared of my mask flooding. My instructor allowed me to come to the pool when he was teaching a OW class and I spent the entire time removing and clearing my mask. Now it's just a common scuba practice to clear my mask. I know exactly how scared you are, as I was there also, but with time and practice you can overcome it too.

Many of the others have given you some good advice. Just practice, practice, and practice. Diving is a sport where you are continously learning and you're taking the first steps to a whole new exciting world. Take as many opportunities as you can for 1 on 1 instruction. Remember as a beginner one of the first things to do is to become comfortable in the water. Do not give up on yourself, no matter how long you have to practice! Hang in there and do continue to let us know how it is going.
Patrick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom