Did you actually see "An Inconvenient Truth" or not?

Did you see the film "An Inconvenient Truth"?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frank_delargy:
Source data please? I have a hard time believing that. If so, it's another good case for population control.

DAGS - Its not hard to find dozens of references. Population control! Like they did/doing in China? I don't think so.

Dave

During an interview with Wolf Blitzer of CNN on March 9th 1999 Gore stated. Some look at this as a claim he took credit for the net, others say it's obvious he isn't taking credit.

I think it's obvious that he made a self serving statement as he does with everything. It looks like credit to me.

During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the interent

Teamcasa:
DAGS - Its not hard to find dozens of references. Population control! Like they did/doing in China? I don't think so.

Dave
Please point me to one. I was unable to find any.
How does your assertion account for the fact that the US contributes about 5 times the CO2 load to the environment that India does with 1/4 of the population.
source: US Government http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/pdf/pages/sec11_38.pdf

"The Convenient Lie" is not on my watchlist. Won't put a penny in any "greenie" org's purse.....
We do need to improve our environment, and develope our alternative fuels...
conservation programs NEED to be implemented, that is for sure!
BUT...many things right here at home can be done to improve, starting with "BUY AMERICAN", "BUY LOCAL", products won't need to be shipped in from overseas if no one buys them here.....
AND, we cannot continue to be a nation of consumers, we need to return to our production mode.....ever seen a Silicon plant on Taiwan/singapore/Indonesia?????
they waste they can produce in their country is........

drbill:
I have yet to see it, but certainly will. I have trouble understanding why people wouldn't at least view it, and then form their own opinion. Heck, I'm a flaming left-of-liberal type and I've watched the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Fox News.

It never came to our one theater and isn't at either of the two video stores here which is why I haven't seen it.

Bill,
THere is hope for you yet then..........:D

Frank,
Just multiply. (That is 0.98 tons of carbon dioxide per year, per person.) In 1800 the earth had 1 billion people. Our CO2 PPMV was 280.
Today we have 6 billion people and the CO2 is 370 and climbing at the same rate as the global population rate.

Anthropogenic (human made) contributions to CO2 is number one. It is a logical conclusion that all of these people need fuel, electricity and food.
Without straying too far of point, we need to cut these emissions to a manageable number globally. Buy locally made products, not those that contribute to the rising CO2 levels. (Of course I say this, typing on my Sony Laptop!) However, when buying any product, I buy locally made products whenever possible, even when it costs more.

Just how much CO2 does a container freighter emit when traveling back and forth between China and Walmart?

Dave

frank_delargy:
Is there another side? I mean using actual data.
If so, can you please point me to it.
Thanks
I phrased it like that to be even handed and fair. Yes, there are those who would argue another side, and they say they have data too. Whether or not one thinks their data is credible is a matter of personal opinion. In any event if you read through this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=172704
you will find various links that people have put forward.

It should also be clear in that thread what my own personal opinion is too! :wink:

Yes ! Redardless of ones personal opinion of Al Gore. It is a must see dounentary! Especially if you are a diver.

Just to weigh in a little more, even before the movie I knew the basic idea behind global warming and I accepted it because highly credible people like Stephen Hawking said it was real and that there was a consensus among the experts that it was real.

But when I saw the movie I gained a much better understanding of it, I understood the urgency and I realized that it could also be prevented. I know some people say Gore's movie is not credible, but most of them haven't even seen it and the scientists who have say it is, and I haven't heard a real refutation of any of it either. I probably wouldn't be posting here about global warming (spreading the word) if I hadn't seen that movie. It's a powerful documentary.

And for the record, I don't have any particular like or dislike for Al Gore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom