Did you attend the march for science?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Non Partisan"? Hey I'm for evidence base science and quality peer review but I listened to some of the speeches (not all) from this march and it seemed some scientist feel the need to interject their left wing ideology such as their LGBTQ affiliations or their gender identity. I really don't know what that has to do with evidence based science.

I spent a little time on youtube watching videos from the marches and I couldn't find any speeches or interviews that were about improving the peer review process, explanations on the scientific method versus consensus science, the importance of accurate predictions by scientific theories, the importance of skepticism to science, why inviting scrutiny is paramount instead of avoiding it and why it is important for real science to remain outside of the political arena as much as possible.

It seemed pretty political to me and the atmosphere was cult like; words like doubter and denier used to cheers...

No. Political protests against the outcome of an election are not my thing. Yes, I have been a government scientist; yes, I do research on the effects of climate change; and no I do not feel threatened. I have seen my science used to justify ocean development and place huge areas off limits. The science was the same in both cases, as the decisions were made less than a year apart, These actions lead me to conclude that the decisions were made without regard to what the science indicated.

Marches and protests make the people participating in them feel like they are accomplishing something. They don't change anything

Unfortunately with 24/7 news coverage and idiots shooting vertical video with cell phones everyone wants to get involved whether they understand the subject they are protesting or not. Most don't consider that their views may not be correct or the only correct view. Some just want to cause disturbances.

Marches and protests make the people participating in them feel like they are accomplishing something. They don't change anything

Oh really! For a scientist, your's is a particularly, and historically, inaccurate statement. Without marches, we would still have a racially segregated South, and women would not be able to vote. And, with even a brief Google search, I am sure you can find many other marches that have also brought about much needed change. Free speech is a wonderful thing. You sure don't see anti-government policy marches in N. Korea and the like. Nobody like to be held up in traffic because of a march, but be thankful you live in a country where protest marches are still possible.

I agree, but give speeches on the merit of your facts don't interject politics. It just weakens the argument.
Maybe this is unrelated but Bret Stephens from the NY Times did a piece on Climate Science and now he is getting slammed by the left and all he said was the science needs to be looked at from both sides.

The "protest culture" is simply ridiculous. I have a hard time seeing past all the BS to determine if any legitimate point deserves my attention.

Just a few personal observations..

a) I have two college aged kids who have been in a class where the teacher offered them class credit to attend a campus demonstration. In neither case did the demonstration have anything to do with the current class.

b) I was in staying in a hotel earlier this year and noticed a several groups of people that did not 'seem' like your typical convention, or business function crowd. Next day, they all were wearing matching t-shirts and off to a protest. I ended up in an elevator with three of these guys and one started up a conversation with me (totally off topic). I could tell from the matching t-shirts why they were in town, but I asked him why he was here anyway, just to hear his POV. He was very quick to tell me that he did not really care about the "cause", but was asked to come by a friend and that he got a free stay in a hotel and free meals for the trip. (to Orlando)
**I am pretty sure this was one of the George Soros funded demonstrations that showed up on local TV later that day. Media coverage made it sound like a grass roots uprising of local treated unfairly.

c) The open secret is that much of these protests are driven by a select few that are able to gin up a crowd and make it look like a significant amount of our population is pissed off. We have record low labor participation rates, which means plenty of people with time on their hands. Protesting has become sport of some folks.

So, I will continue to work 50+ hours a week to support my family. ..And pay >35% taxes to our govt' ..so the "occupy" crowd can go have a fit about whatever cause has their blood pressure up today.

...Just please don't ask me to just assume they are credible just because they wear a pink v-hat or wave a pre-printed poster in front of a tv camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom