Did you ever say NO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have aborted a few dives on not feeling comfortable while underwater, attempting to descend and had a bad feeling and for too strong a current. If you are uncomfortable then abort the dive, who cares what others say. I have skipped the 1st dive (deep) and did the shallow and vice versa. In Coz we did Devils Throat (or something like that) and ended up at just over 140ft in which I worried myself, but made it up without any problems.

Very rarely... but the girls I've asked say it all the time (of course I mean no to a dive!).

My boyfriend and I just got back from a dive trip, where we 'negotiated' with the DMs a bit. My boyfriend has only been diving a couple of months (6-8 dives). The first dive we did, they were taking us to the wreck of a small boat, in about 20m of water. The plan was to swim in the stern hatch, through the boat, then out the front. I wasn't totally happy with the idea, especially when the guide said the wreck was full of silt. When we got to the hatch, the guide turned to the group, and pointed in. My boyfriend shook his head 'no'. They guide motioned that he (my bf) and I should swim round the outside of the boat to the bow. The rest of the group went in, and we met up with them again at the other end.

Another time, we were swimming along the top of the reef at 20m, then we went over the edge, where the bottom was 90m. I didn't like that, so I just waited at the top with my boyfriend. When the guide turned to check on us, he saw that we didn't want to come down, so he came back up. We were the only ones on that dive. Another dive where the guide went deeper than I wanted, I signalled to my boyfriend/buddy to level off, and we swam along about 7m above the group. We had 20m+ viz, so it was easy to keep track of them.

I've recently modified a plan that I thought was too aggressive- I buddied up with some nwerer divers that wanted to go to 100 ffw. I talked them down to 85' and we did a wall dive from there. One diver had a reg that was breathing wet and another diver was having BC/weight issues, so it's probably a good thing that we didn't go deeper. :D

Sorry I don't consider 85ft much different than 100ft. Also a wet breathing reg? Well I guess the 2nd stage needed a looking at. So the octo became the primary. But BC - weight issues. I think I'd have to fix the problem before I dove, even to 85ft.

I think this is a great question and might get others to think. Just because someone is called dive master are instructor you shouldn't follow blindly. If you do not feel right don't do it. Alot of people assume if you meet someone on a dive boat he/she is going to protect and watch out over you. WRONG! Just duck behind a coral head and watch as they swim off and not looking for you are surfacing. This is the real world. I've read and heard of to many times a less qualified diver got in trouble following someone that they thought that would watch out for them. If your not trained to dive deep don't. If you not trained for overhead don't.

Diving is supposed to be fun ... when we have to worry about a dive its not fun anymore so why do it?

I've aborted a few dives for different reasons ... the most common being ...

- equipment issues
- not comfortable with dive conditions (bad vis, more current than expected, etc)
- invoked the "two strikes" rule

The "two strikes" rule basically means that if something goes wrong, you deal with it ... if something else goes wrong, you thumb the dive. Most times this is an indication that one of the dive team is having a bad day, and perhaps doesn't have their mind in the right place ... so it is probably a good idea to get out of the water before "strike three" happens ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What I mean is did you ever say NO to a dive or did you abort (a part of ) a dive.

Many times. Sometimes there's a reason such as conditions aren't right, but sometimes it's merely the feeling of "Something evil this way comes."

What I mean is did you ever had to say no to a Divemaster/guide duiring the dive. i.e.call a dive because the dm/guide went beond you skills.

I avoid that by not making guided dives.

I have said "NO" many times. I have sat out because my buddy says "NO".

Thumbed dives too and again because buddy says so.

Following is my personal opinion. One of the worst things I see or have seen on dive trips, is someone saying "no" and someone else trying to change their mind. Its their decision, accept it, leave them alone! To me it is not a topic that requires discussion.

On numerous occasions.

My best dive buddy, friend, lover and wife, Yellow Angel Fish, will call a dive at the drop of a hat. If she feels ANYTHING is amiss, the dive is called.

Do I fault her for this? In no way. She'll be diving a long, long time. And safely, I might add.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom