Difference between agency IDCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maxpcf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been toying with the idea of becoming an instructor, partially because I love diving and partially because I love teaching people.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows or believes there are significant differences in the instructor development courses of each agency. What skills they focus on, if one is more thorough than another.

In my history with other qualifications, it seems that the quality of the course and what you learn are really more reflective of the teacher than the agency. If you think it is the same case with IDCs, are there any instructor trainers you think are absolutely superb?

My second question is cost. I'm currently certified thru basic cave and decompression procedures(No DM); however have not taken rescue, so I will be starting with rescue (for those agencies that require it). In terms of cost a difference of hundreds of dollars is negligible, but a difference of thousands of dollars is a consideration.

That being said, which agency do you think has the best instructor development program? (Please interpret that liberally).

For what it is worth, I have looked at GUE, SDI, SSI, & PADI so far.

Thanks,
Max

Last edited:
In Florida, you should look at IANTD as well. Also don't forget NAUI.

There are a few key factors you need to look out for.

Most important factor is who your actual instructor trainer will be and that is based on their skill and how their personality mixes with yours. I would also make sure that there is a very clear and well laid out path to instructor with general deadlines, costs and expectations. Obviously how quickly you progress through the program depends on how much time you devote to it, but some shops will abuse the relationship and basically use you as free slave labor for a year or two. They have you progress much slower than you normally would at another shop. Talk with the owner, talk with people currently in the program--fully understand the process.

In terms of agencies, make sure you choose an agency that is common in your area so that it will be easier to work for a different shop should something happen to your current LDS.

For right now, I would remove GUE. Their process is extremely long, drawn out, and expensive. It is designed to only accept the best. Of all the GUE certified divers in the US, there are still only 22 instructors.

I am no expert, but for the most part their are small differences between the agencies, but nothing major. Some may require an OW student to have a snorkel, some might allow a vertical CESA drill, others require it to be done horizontally as a swim, SSI instructors must be associated with a shop, while SDI instructors may be independent. Different agencies have different requirements for advanced vs master, etc. In Florida especially, you will see different instructors have multiple agency certifications and be able to issue any number of OW cards even when teaching the same class to everyone.

If I was looking for an agency to teach for I would probably be looking at SDI or NAUI (maybe PADI), but my principal concern would be finding a shop that I was culturally a right fit for and one where I could really learn and grow---agency would be secondary to that.

I can say that every GUE instructor I have has as an instructor with has been extremely skilled. And at 4 that's probably 20% of the US instructors.

But I suspect they are highly selective compared to most organizations. One of the classes was with an I.E. and he was tough. None of us got a card. If you are not already a GUE tech 1 or cave 1 diver and happy with the org it's probably not the right path.

Take a look at IANTD. I have done that and still likes it. It is about 1000 euro cheaper than Padi, and you can start directly with adv. nitrox instructor or adv. rec. trimix instructor if you are good enough. I decided to do that as my interests are in technical diving and not in sportsdiving. But you have to be DM. I was cmas 3* certified when starting my instructor course with IANTD. Still happy with it.
If you want to go further there are new requirements, but that do have all agencies.

Do you want to be able to find a job and students to actually teach once you are an instructor?
If so you should most likely go with PADI.
I see the OP is located in Florida..most facilities there are PADI, so that alone gives you more access to places to find a job. Can be a part time, a fill in type arrangement or full time job. Costs for this certification is actually secondary. What good is a instructor card from any inexpensive agency if you cannot make enough money back to at least cover your costs and expenses ?
Find a 5 star IDC center near your location and take your rescue , EFR, and divemaster there.
Talk to the staff, talk to the owner during the divemaster course and express your interest to go on to instructor. Ask if there will be opportunities to actually get classes there once you are an instructor. Be up front with your goals. Better yet, while you are a divemaster try to teach for the within your certification level. A DM can conduct scuba reviews, discover scuba experiences, even can do EFR (first aid/CPR courses) . Assist in as many ow classes you can and have a "can do" attitude.You should get paid for some of this of course. This will get your foot in the door for future classes. For part of the OP question on which agency will offer the best training during a IDC, none will. All your skills should be second nature before your DM course. When going pro, you should not look at it as a place to better your skills. You should have above average ability before a DM course. An IDC is for learning to stick to a agency standards / procedures and be able teach in such a way as to be able to pass an IE..

Last edited:
My GUE instructor teaches Fundies only, then NAUI tech courses. He owns a PADI store where I did my PADI IDC. This works for him.

My personal Certs are from PADI, NAUI, GUE and BSAC...I teach PADI, DAN and HSA because these works "for me".

If I now take a course it is all about the instructor for me. I am looking for quality not agency card collecting.

And important too: do you believe in dir as only truth or do you want to have freedom to use the best for every particular dive? And do you dive solo?

I'm not really dogmatic in terms of my diving. I think different approaches, as long as they're safe, should be welcome.

If you are choosing your agency based on what you believe to be the quality of the IDC process, then I think you may be making a mistake.

To give you an idea of what I mean, a year or two ago someone started a thread in the instructor to Instructor forum on ScubaBoard. He was frustrated because he had recently gotten his instructor rating and had gone to shop after shop after shop after shop after shop, and no one would hire him. He had chosen to do his instructor training and certification through a tiny agency because he felt they were the best (for reasons he did not explain). Who knows--they might be the best for whatever reasons he chose, but the fact is that not a single person participating in the Instructor to Instructor forum knew of any shop anywhere that offered instruction through that agency. The only way he could work as an instructor through that agency was as an independent.

If a shop offers only PADI instruction, it is only going to hire PADI instructors. If a shop offers SDI and SSI, then it will only hire SSI and SDI instructors. If you choose an agency with no shops in your area offering that brand of instruction, then you need to be ready to work as an independent instructor only. Now, there are many places where it is very possible to do well as an independent, but there are many places where it is close to impossible.

In short, I suggest you look to your future and pick an agency that will get you where you want to go. The IDC is just a small first step in that process.

Back
Top Bottom