Difference between LP & HP Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a problem with divers overfilling their LP tanks with "cave fills" damn near test pressure, as long as they openly acknowledge they are using a piece of dive equipment beyond the manufacturer's spec and rating and thus don't hypocritically turn around and criticize another diver for using some other piece of dive equipment beyond its spec, because "everybody does it and hasn't had problems."

I think this holds especially true for instructors who overfill LP's. You can't play it both ways without being one of those "do as I say, not as I do" hypocrites, because when you overfill you are saying the specs don't really apply to you, no two ways about that. Just be honest about it.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with my Worthington HP's filled to rated pressure.

I just skimmed over this thread and thinking of getting steel tanks because the rented al80s just don't give you a lot of down time if you are below 60 ft or more. So sorry if this was mentioned and I missed it in my reading. I have heard that you can basically get an LP tank filled anywhere easily but HP tanks are harder to get filled at many places, at least to their fullest. Is this the case especially if you are doing boat diving or getting your tanks filled at a LDS for quarry diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom