Difference in Shadow Divers and The Last Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The latest on the movie is that Broyles has finished the second draft of the screenplay, casting will probably start in January or February, and they want to start shooting around summertime. Also, apparently the second draft was really, really good.

-Bill

docmartin:
FWIW, i liked "the last dive" better and did not have any issues with bernie's writing style. maybe because it was the first one i read or because it feels more like it's been written by a diver for divers. it was certainly a forerunner for the handful of books that followed.
i find it so hard to believe that anyone liked the writing style of "the last dive", but each their own i suppose

I recently read both The Last Dive and Shadow Divers

i swear "The Last dive" comes across as my 9yr nephew has written a "what i did during my holiday" essay. Paragraph after paragraph of "then he said" and "then he went" and "then he did", not to mention the painfully drawn out senarios

most serious gagging highlight was "without quite realizing it, they treated each other with the tenderness, gentle touch and soothing words of a compassionate caregiver treating a seriously wounded patient"... (turned book back to front cover-confirm not mills and boon).

thats my $0.02, so must be up for a buck on this site by now

mike_s:
When asked who was going to play him, Richie Kholer replied "Danny DeVito".

(No... I'm not kidding... Kholer actually said that... though I think him joking was implied.

JC has replied "Meatloaf and Danny DeVito" to that question...

interesting thread...

as to the discrepancies, they are bound to happen when different people re-tell
the same event, and both are convinced they are telling the truth. the only
way to know is to check Coast Guard records and see if they shed any light.

also, the details don't really change the over-all story. this is just a footnote to
a great and sad story.

i liked both Shadow Divers and Last Dive. Shadow Divers is a very entertaining
read; Last Dive is a very educational read.

love them both

I just finished reading both books a few weeks ago and liked them both although I noticed the difference in the two accounts as soon as I read it. I wish I had read the books earlier as I met John and Richie at the Palm Beach Dive Show before I had the chance to read either book and would have asked them about the discrepancy.

I was impressed that both were, as others have said, very approachable and willing to talk to anyone that had a question. After they're presentation I approached Richie and asked if there was a chance that they could talk more about the equipment they use when diving on Deep Sea Detectives as many of us are interested in hearing about the type of gear they use and why. He was very receptive to the idea and told me that he and John had talked about it already. I got both of them to sign my copy of Shadow Divers and they were more then happy to have their picture taken with me. A couple of really great guys.

Either they've gotten the question of who they want to play them in the movie before and always give the same answer or some of us were at the same show because I remember Richie getting a big laugh when I asked him that and he answered Danny DeVito.

Padipro:
Either they've gotten the question of who they want to play them in the movie before and always give the same answer or some of us were at the same show because I remember Richie getting a big laugh when I asked him that and he answered Danny DeVito.
LOL! Yes, Richie did say Danny DiVito when he was asked where I saw them speak. BTW, no fair. You look like a normal-sized person next to John, not a munchin like I do. :D

The Danny DeVito is Richie's running response. He said it also at the LIDA film festival. I guess he gets a luagh with it whenever he is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom