Differences between tank sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all, bit of a noob question here.

Currently I rent my tanks from my LDS and they are 10.5 liter steel tanks (200 bar).

As you can get bigger and smaller tanks, is it correct to say that they carry more and less air respectively?

Thanks!
The reference at Standard Ambient Temperature & Pressure and using a water volume containment measurement rating in liters of each cylinder makes better sense and is easier for estimating a base quantitative comparison of volume (since water is incompressible, and using a normal surface atmospheric pressure of 1 bar).

So for example, given the metric internal water volume rating of a steel cylinder at 10 liters/bar, and another at 15 liters/bar, you can obviously figure that the latter has one-and-a-half times more internal volume than the former.

However when pressurized to any value up to its recommended Service Rating, a cylinder carries an equivalent volume of free gas greater than its water capacity, because the gas is compressed to several hundred times atmospheric pressure.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom