Differences between the Olympus C5050 and the C50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdeb001

Contributor
Reaction score
Has there been any discussion comparing these two cameras on the board?? At first glance the biggest difference I can find is that the C50 does not have manual focus and it looks like it won't accept a strobe or external light?? I found one locally but haven't found the C5050 yet so just wondering. The C5o was $549.00 CDN deb

P.S. They both have undewater housings available!!

I don't think there's been a direct comparison but I *think* I remember there's someone on the board who uses the C-50.

You might also check stevesdigicam.com for a comparison review.

diverdeb001:
Has there been any discussion comparing these two cameras on the board?? At first glance the biggest difference I can find is that the C50 does not have manual focus and it looks like it won't accept a strobe or external light?? I found one locally but haven't found the C5050 yet so just wondering. The C5o was $549.00 CDN deb

P.S. They both have undewater housings available!!

Apart from one being a purse cam (the C50) and the other being a high-end, full-featured consumer digital (the C5050) - here are the majors:

ZOOM (tele)
C50: 4X C5050: 2.5X

ZOOM (wide)
C50: 38 C5050: 35

ISO
C50: 80, 160, 320 C5050: 100, 200, 400

AP
C50: F2.8 - F4.8 / F8.0 C5050: F1.8 - F10

C50:
No Remote
No Lens Threads (no filters, no lens adapters)
No External Flash
No CF or Smart Media (only XD)
No RAW output
Proprietary Battery (read: won't take you AA rechargables)

Specs provided by DP review.

They're not in the same league. If you're looking for a 5meg pocket cam that you can take with you anywhere and whip out and take pics (either outside of from very close up) then the C50 is for you. If you're a photographer or creative type that may use filters, lenses, an external flash, serious post processing, have lots of rechargable AA's or CF memory laying around, then you can't even consider the C50.

K

PS: go to www.dpreview.com and select compare. From the drop down you can select (by using shift-ctrl) as many cams as you want, and do a side by side feature comparison.

The C-5050 also does ISO 64..... go with the C-5050 if you can afford to. Much more versatility, unless you just want something to do holiday snaps.

A few tech. spec. corrections:
- both the C50 and C5050 have 3x zoom
- the smallest aperture on the C5050 is F8.0
- the C50 has a remote
The IMO biggest challenge with the C50 for underwater use is the min. focusing distance in macro mode - 20cm(7.9") in wide and 30cm(11.8") in tele. Also the LCD viewfinder is small - 1.5" diagonal compared to 1.8" on the C5050. Other considerations - only uses xD cards (as of today slower, smaller capacity available and more expensive compared to CF cards) and proprietary batteries. It also records movies w/o sound and can only do bursts of 16sec.
The C50 has no connections for an external flash but you can use external slave driven strobes underwater e.g. the Sea and Sea YS90, Ikelite DS50 w manual controller or Inon D180. The strobes must be 'pre-flash aware' (often called 'digital strobes' by some manufacturers).
I think it is a nice little camera for the casual user, easy to use but not in the same 'league' as the C5050.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom