Digital cam hardcopy photo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do most of my printing from digital at the local commercial printing house. I give them a CD with a 8000x5000 pixel TIFF image, and they print it out on a 32"x20" (250dpi) for AU$33.

Only catch is that they don't do any sort of colour, contrast or brightness correction. So you need to calibrate your monitor properly when composing the picture, and you need a 'puter that gutsy enough to handle a 200Mb photoshop image.

I also use the same services to get enlargements of negs after I scan them in.

If you're interested in chasing up a similar service locally, find a local photo processing lab which has a 'Pegasus' printer.

Start with the highest to end up with the best

While shooting:
use the highest MP camera you can afford (I've just ordered the Oly C5050)

use the best image FORMAT possible - TIFF is great but not often practical. JPEG is the most common. The new cameras even do RAW now.

If using JPEG use the highest setting possible i.e. LEAST COMPRESSION. Digicams generally use the term HQ or SHQ.

Shoot in the largest size or DIMENSION - this varies from camera to camera - Sony's like the computer format dimensions ie the P5 uses 2,048 x 1,536, the Oly 5050 2,560 x 1,920 and even has a 3/2 size of 2,560 x 1,696

use an image editing program like Photoshop to change the RESOLUTION of your pic. Most cameras will give you picture by default of W x H and resolution of 72dots per inch (dpi) - this is screen resolution - great for emails lousy for printing, not print resolution. Optimum print resolution is 300 dpi. Most glossy dive magazines use about 200 dpi.

When you change resolution to 300dpi make sure you keep the dimensions the same as the original. For example if the original was 2,560 x 1,920 @ 72dpi and you change the res to 300dpi Photoshop will by default increase the dimensions or number of pixels horizontally and vertically to match. In this case simply put the original values back again ie 2,560 x 1,920. You will notice the PRINTABLE SIZE change to a smaller one - in this case from a massive 90.31 cms (35.556 inchs) x 67.73 cms (26.667 inchs) to 21.67 cms (8.533 inchs) x 16.26 cms (6.4 inchs). So a 5MP image can print at 300 dpi a true size of about 8 x 6 inchs.

Change the COLOUR MODE from RGB (again screen mode - great for emails) to CMYK - the native printing colour system. You'll need to do this especially if you're sending your award winning photos to be printed in a dive mag.

Next save this in a file format that is uncompressed - like TIFF or Photoshop (PSD). Each time you save a JPEG, contrary to popular belief, it re-interprets the image with the compression algorithm which can cause noticable artifacts.

Do all your colour correction, touch-up, contrast and adding the fish that wasn't there using this file.

Try not to enlarge (zoom in) the picture to avoid softening. It's the computer adding picture information that is not there by interpolating the information from around it. You can't get something out of nothing. This is what the gimmicky 'Digital Zoom' in digicams do. Except I'd rather use the more sophisticated algorithm of Photoshop and number crunching capability of a 2GHz Pentium4 do that than a camera - if at all I need to.

Now if you print your image you should get the best quality possible

I print all my pics on an EPSON 810 - it costs less than US$200 but the results are stunning. Be warned though - the consumables will burn a hole in your pocket, though I've been told that they're the cheapest among the popular three. And it has this pesky problem of having to clean the nozzle and head ever so often.

Best of all it can do borderless printouts on A4.

Choose a 'Photo Quality' colour printer.

720dpi will do - I can't tell the difference between one printed at 720 and 1440.

The 810 uses 5 colour inks + black - the convetional CyanMagentaYellow + light cyan and light magenta for more subtle and accurate colour matching.

Use good quality photo paper - if possible stick with the manufacturer's paper. My favourite are Epson's Premium Glossy Photo Paper, Photo Quality Glossy Film and for a silky matt finish the Premium Semigloss Photo Paper.

Use the correct printer settings for the corresponding paper

There are dedicated photo printers available - like the olympus dye sublimation printer - fantastic quality, water proof - but expensive and limited in print size.

Thanks, Jerome, for the explanation for changing the resolution. I've never heard to use the original values for the print.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom