Digital compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andyblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just wondering if it's possible to get a dive digital wrist compass that's not a dive computer as well. I have had a look around on the internets and have seen casio pathfinders rated to 200m water resistance and sunto cores and others but none seem to be actually for diving.

Is there anything on the market that would work as a replacement for an analogue guage without spending around $1200 for a full computer ie d9 or oc1

Never saw one but don't know why you would want one. I have one built into my Vyper Air but I never use it. I use a separate analog because they are more stable, easier to read and I can side read. Electronic compasses are just too fickle for me.

Never saw one but don't know why you would want one. I have one built into my Vyper Air but I never use it. I use a separate analog because they are more stable, easier to read and I can side read. Electronic compasses are just too fickle for me.

The UWATEC Galileo Sol's electronic compass is outstanding but the unit is a beast...

I have never seen or heard of a stand alone digital compass unit. I have a Vyper Air Computer that has a digital compass, to be honest after trying to use it, I much more prefer the analog compass,.... much easier to use.

The UWATEC Galileo Sol's electronic compass is outstanding but the unit is a beast...

I agree, it is possible to make an excellent digital compass unit. The problem with the vytec is it is not a compass. It's a dive computer with an added compass but the main feature is a computer. So of course it would be a second rate compass. However you can get digital compasses for hiking and they are great! You can have set points and ask it to remember bearings to use it to get you home. Why not make it waterproof and streamlined?

When you're underwater there are SOO many things affecting your direction and what not that a digital compass isn't really practical. Once you start factoring current in, it doesn't matter if you're off by a couple of degrees because the current is going to slide you one way or another. If you are maintaining physical buddy contact during compass navigation you also tend to get pushed one way or another. Just can't see a reason to spend all that money on a digital compass when an analog one works. Oh, and unless it's gyroscopic, it would still get affected by any large metal objects. I.e. shipwreck, and the gyro's are a smidge big, require a lot of go juice and are a tad expensive...

When you're underwater there are SOO many things affecting your direction and what not that a digital compass isn't really practical. Once you start factoring current in, it doesn't matter if you're off by a couple of degrees because the current is going to slide you one way or another. If you are maintaining physical buddy contact during compass navigation you also tend to get pushed one way or another. Just can't see a reason to spend all that money on a digital compass when an analog one works. Oh, and unless it's gyroscopic, it would still get affected by any large metal objects. I.e. shipwreck, and the gyro's are a smidge big, require a lot of go juice and are a tad expensive...

That being said your argument also works for saying 'why not have a digital compass'? It would sit alot flatter on my wrist is the reason why I want one, but I didn't start this thread by asking people to tell me reasons why I shouldn't have one.. I just wanted one.. You know.. One of those things you want just because you can?

True, but I don't use the big honking compasses for scuba. I think they're ridiculous.
Silva Polaris Base Plate Compass at REI.com
I use one of those. I glued it to a small slate that clips into my backplate or into a pocket
cheaper, more accurate and not bulky, not on a wrist, but using wrist compasses is not accurate, neither are consoles because you are restricted in movement

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom