Digital Developing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nusspli:
Thanks for the tips. I do have an HP Photo Ink Jet printer. I've only printed a few photos on it though. I'll try Epson paper to see if it makes a difference.

Epson paper is Archival when used with Epson Ink. If not using Epson ink (which you can not get for an HP ) it will be of no great advantage. The photos may look better but to my knowledge will not be archival quality.

Epson inks do not run when wet or fade when in the sun like HP does.

Best and cheapest bet is to go with photolab printing after you do your own editing like Gilliagan said.

I work as a part time pro photograher and I do all my edits before uploading to lab. Print quality is much better that way.

Also once you find a lab you like ask them for their color profile settings for their printer. You can then set your monitor to match it pretty closely.

If they can't give you a profile ask if they have monitor set up prints or have a few prints made. Take them home and set it by your monitor screen. Open the same photo on your screen then try to match the colors on your monitor to your print.

It is important to remember to always work in the same light. IE if there is alot of sunlight in your room. Close the blinds and use the overhead light. That way when you work at night it will be the same light on your screen.

It is amazing how much colors shift dependant on which light is on them. To see the effects take one of your prints look at it under Flouresant light, then Incandestant light and Sunlight. If your really adventurist take it to the jewelrly counter at a store and look at it under the light that they show the diamond rings. (there is a reson those diamonds sparkle so much when your in the store buying and the store owner knows the secrets)

Sorry got a little carried away...hope this helps.

gj62:
Has anyone tried SnapFish.com? I get great service, and like the quality too. Note that I am not an accomplished photog, so my acceptance level may be well below yours...

They lost my order twice. When I did get something the pictures were sticking together. They did come apart easily, but they had big dull spots where they had stuck together.
We had nothing but trouble with them...

Lisa

PS: Another plus for getting your prints done at a photot shop, the colors last longer.

justleesa:
They lost my order twice. When I did get something the pictures were sticking together. They did come apart easily, but they had big dull spots where they had stuck together.
We had nothing but trouble with them...
Bummer. I wonder if they sub their dev out to different shops based on where you are (for shipping, etc)? I've done 3 8x10's and the price, turnaround and quality were great. I've also had people drop-ship me photos they took of us on vacation via SnapFish, which was kinda cool. Is there on online service you recommend?

gj62:
Bummer. I wonder if they sub their dev out to different shops based on where you are (for shipping, etc)? I've done 3 8x10's and the price, turnaround and quality were great. I've also had people drop-ship me photos they took of us on vacation via SnapFish, which was kinda cool. Is there on online service you recommend?

I also tried shutterfly, it wasn't the best either. Finally I found a shop here in town. They charge me $-.30 for a 4x6, but they crop great (just like I would) and the colors are perfect. I can wait for it....as long as I am not getting 100+ pictures. Plus I get that special service of a family run shop.

Oh, we had some good luck with Sam's club too, as far as film processing goes. Paid 7 dollars for a roll of 27, including a CD. Can't beat that. When they open shop closer to home I might try out their digital service....never looked, but do they offer it online too?

Tearless Tom:
Sorry got a little carried away...hope this helps.

If getting carried away gives all the info you just gave...then please, get carried away every time! Thanks

Epson now makes a pretty nice printer that will print from your camera's memory card directly - without even being connected to a computer! Model is the R300 - which my wife bought recently, not bad on price - about $180. Quality is excellent. It is still a dye-based photo printer, so you can't expect longevity exceeding 25 years depending on the paper you use. It all depends on the convenience you want vs. expense of printing at home.

However, this summer Epson is supposed to release their PictureMate printer - only prints 4x6's - but with archival qualities (100+ years framed). Also around the $200 range.

If you are in So. Cal, The Darkroom in Northridge specializes in UW AND digital, they do an amazing job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom