Dilemma, what do I keep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been a little crazy on regulator acquisitions lately and have too many. We don't need to go into why I ended up with so many 1st stages, just I do. Currently I am the only consistently active diver in a family of 3 divers. My 21 yo son dives cold water every few months, my husband not at all. I believe in carrying what others semi-jokingly refer to as a "complete dive shop" (due to the 3 hours drive to the dive sites). I have 2 similarly configured backgas long-hose, bungeed alternate regulators. My son, when he dives, uses one. These aren't in my question, just explains a non-use I have for some of the others.

I am setting up a sidemount system. The left regulator is used for my 13 cf pony, a SM AL80 used with a standard backgas configuration, and full SM if I ever get there. It needs: SPG, single 1st stage, and sometimes LPI. The right regulator will be for the right SM tank and needs an SPG, single 1st stage, and LPI.

For this I have the following: USD Conshelf XIV, USD Conshelf 21, SP MK5 (older with light yoke and 2 LP ports), SP MK5 (heavy yoke, 4-5 LP ports - it's in the mail). I do all my own maintenance (with the proper and specific tools) and have the Conshelfs right at specs. I haven't yet worked on the MK5s, but have overhauled a couple of MK7s which are the same internally.

I like the form factor of the MK5s and think the hose routing will be easier. Not sure which will be easier to convert to DIN.

If you were in my place which would you keep and why? And to COUV in particular; I know the MK5s are a danger and MUST be removed from service and you would be happy to help me with that :D

Converting MK5s to DIN is a bit tricky as the SP universal DIN retainer will not work, and MK5 DIN retainers are not too common. Awap has fashioned a work-around, you might ask him about it. I don't know about the conshelfs. Regarding your other thread about converting 2 LP port MK5s to 5 port, you have to be a bit careful because some of the 2 port turrets were fastened with circlips instead of threaded retaining bolts. I'm not sure if a later turret using a retaining bolt would fit, but I guess it's worth a try.

I've been a little crazy on regulator acquisitions lately and have too many. We don't need to go into why I ended up with so many 1st stages, just I do. Currently I am the only consistently active diver in a family of 3 divers. My 21 yo son dives cold water every few months, my husband not at all. I believe in carrying what others semi-jokingly refer to as a "complete dive shop" (due to the 3 hours drive to the dive sites). I have 2 similarly configured backgas long-hose, bungeed alternate regulators. My son, when he dives, uses one. These aren't in my question, just explains a non-use I have for some of the others.

I am setting up a sidemount system. The left regulator is used for my 13 cf pony, a SM AL80 used with a standard backgas configuration, and full SM if I ever get there. It needs: SPG, single 1st stage, and sometimes LPI. The right regulator will be for the right SM tank and needs an SPG, single 1st stage, and LPI.

For this I have the following: USD Conshelf XIV, USD Conshelf 21, SP MK5 (older with light yoke and 2 LP ports), SP MK5 (heavy yoke, 4-5 LP ports - it's in the mail). I do all my own maintenance (with the proper and specific tools) and have the Conshelfs right at specs. I haven't yet worked on the MK5s, but have overhauled a couple of MK7s which are the same internally.

I like the form factor of the MK5s and think the hose routing will be easier. Not sure which will be easier to convert to DIN.

If you were in my place which would you keep and why? And to COUV in particular; I know the MK5s are a danger and MUST be removed from service and you would be happy to help me with that :D

It is almost impossible to find Mk5 DIN hardware. The Mk5 retainer is just a bit longer than the readily available DIN conversion kit for all newer Scubapro 1sts. I converted one Mk5 to DIN using the the readily available kit with the universal retainer and adding about 1mm of brass washers as spacers between the body and the retainer. It must the the universal retainer as it has a groove on the side for the retainer o-ring and the older version of the retainer does not. It only accepts the o-ring between the end of the retainer and the body. I also did a little dremmel tool modification of the plastic saddle (from a Mk20) so everythin fit correctly on the Mk5.

Edit: It may also be very hard to find a newer turret for a Mk5. I don't think I have ever seen one on ebay so that upgrade might be dependent on finding an old shop with a stash. I have always avoided the 2-port turret models. I guess, if it is dirt cheap, it will has a few useful spare parts. But I have always found the older Mk7s to be a readily available and cheaper source for spare pistons, springs, and HP seat retainers; and paper weights. I already have a small stash of ambient chambers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a dilemma if your garage is not full yet.

Bob
-------------------------
I swear its not hoarding dear, I'm just keeping an adequate stock of equipment and parts. It's life support, you know.

Couv thinks you need more regulators-not fewer. I cannot advise you on side mount setups so the following is worth what you pay for it.

Unlike my Usual Suspects brethren, I prefer the MK 10 to the MK 5. The MK10 always has 5 l.p. ports, 2 7/16" h.p. ports, and a heavy yoke. Additionally, as Halo points out, they are easier to convert to DIN than the MK 5-not an issue for me as I'm still a yoke fan, but do a search for Awap's comments on converting MK 5 yokes to DIN. <--- edit: see his faster-typer-than-me comments above.

Speaking of converting. Convert the thin yoke 5 into a tank pressure checker/tire/football/soccer/ball inflator and purchase another MK 5 or better yet a couple of MK 10s with DINs I happen to know someone who has some for sale. :)

Speaking of converting. Convert the thin yoke 5 into a tank pressure checker/tire/football/soccer/ball inflator and purchase another MK 5 or better yet a couple of MK 10s with DINs I happen to know someone who has some for sale. :)

LOL. I already have 2 regulators in service as a tank equalizer/pony filler (MK7 and USD Aquarius). Have your friend PM me, I might be interested.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2014 at 09:43 AM ----------

It's not a dilemma if your garage is not full yet.

Garage IS full - just not all with dive gear, not to mention wallet is empty. :D

My recommendation is to ask this question in the sidemount forum rather than here. You may get better answers. All things equal, I would recommend standardization, So I would recommend keeping the Conshelfs. However, if the hose routing is terrible then you are stuck. Hence, discuss in the sidemount forum.

From my lurking on the cave divers website I get the impression that they prefer regulators with a turret and a bottom port, like a latter generation MK-5 or MK-10/15/20/25 or a DST with a 5th port upgrade or a HOG. As others have pointed out MK-5 DINS are tough to come by.

My recommendation would be to sell all your surplus ones and either purchase Couv's MK-10s or if you prefer sealed-diaphragm regs find a deal on some HOGS. If you are in love with MK-5s then let me know and I will go through my stash but I know I have no DIN fittings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom