Din converters any good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard Alexander

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an opportunity to purchase a Steel 120 with a din valve for a really good price. All my gear is yoke. I like the idea of din and may convert in the future but not at this time. So the question is what is the general opinion of diving on a regular basis with a din set up and a converter to yoke?

I have used them on a few occasions. 99% of our diving is on din. Occasionally we go in a trip that the tanks rented are yoke only. I dont know what general policy is however I have been under the impression that the converter from din to yoke was primarily for tank filling.

I have an opportunity to purchase a Steel 120 with a din valve for a really good price. All my gear is yoke. I like the idea of din and may convert in the future but not at this time. So the question is what is the general opinion of diving on a regular basis with a din set up and a converter to yoke?
You might be better off replacing the din valve with a thermo convertible valve (if it isn't already). It shouldn't be too much more than the cost of a converter.

Din to yoke inserts work. If you buy a a-clamp cylinder in the UK it will be a din with an insert in.

Assuming you are talking about a standard 3442 service pressure tank, and it is a 232 BAR DIN valve, a Pro Valve Insert is the least expensive solution. If you need to swap from a 300 BAR DIN, I'd just spend about $40 and pick up a Dive Gear Express (DGX) Pro Valve.

My 120s came with a yoke insert already installed. My Scubapro MK25 fits great on both tanks (a little close one of them). When using older regulators (a friend has some vintage Scubapro) the yoke won't fit over the converted DIN. I would suggest you bring your regulator along so that you can try it out before you buy. The original owner may well have the inserts and just never thinks about them. If the yoke doesn't fit over the din, you are going to have to replace the valve or get your regulator modified for DIN.

The adaptor for the tank (LP) is a easy fix. My tanks use the dins with the valve plugs. I can adapt the tank to any reg.
The flip side of adapting the reg to the tank is a diferrent animal. A problem quite often seen on dive trips where the shops spend the min for equipment and that includes often non convertable valves. For those vary few times i use the whip fill adaptor to put on the reg to adapt to the tank provided to me. I always ask for din compatible tanks, sometimes you don't get them. Salt water is tough on AL yoke adaptors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom