DIN cylinders available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassybreakfast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a fairly new diver (26 dives) getting my own kit now, and the first trip is going to be PDC/Cozumel. I am trying to decide between DIN and yoke for the first stage, since I am based in the UK, and will likely dive more in Europe later where DIN is more common.

Just wondering if DIN cylinders are generally available in PDC/Cozumel/Cancun? I understand that most/all the tanks are set up for yoke, but are they the type that's actually DIN with an insert that can be removed?

Thanks

Stick with din and get an adapter for $20 then it doesn't matter.

You really can't go yoke to din (unless the tanks have the insert).

You'll rarely find convertible valves outside of Tulum... and there I found it hard to find inserts if you happen to have yoke (I happened to have some inserts in my SAD kit). Because its a cavern/cave centric area the tanks I saw all have DIN valves. Otherwise tank supply shops in most Caribbean diving areas will save some $$ and just have non convertible yoke valves.

I bought reg sets (mine is an Apeks XL4+ and the kids have Cressi MC9-SC Compact Pro) that are easily converted back and forth. We dive DIN here at home but for trips like Caribbean liveaboards we switch them over to yoke before we travel. You can also just have a DIN to yoke convertor with you.

Buy DIN with conversion as a criteria or having an adapter as an extra and you'll be fine. Just switch back and forth for trips.

Get DIN and an adapter, but ask your dive op if they have "pro" or "convertible" valves. (I know Dressel in Cozumel does, but I'm confident there are others.) With a yoke-only valve, the yoke adapter with your DIN regulator brings the regulator about 2 cm closer, which might bump the back of your head (depending on your tank height). Lowering the tank solves that, but may render it difficult to reach the valve while diving.

Thanks all! I am leaning toward the DIN + converter approach (currently looking at SP MK11 + C370). Is the MK11 an easily convertible first stage?

And yeah the reason why I hesitate getting the DIN + adapter is because of what people said about head bumping, but I've never used one so don't actually know if it's a problem with me / my setup.

You really can't go yoke to din (unless the tanks have the insert).
Yeah I was planning on buying a few inserts.

Hmm looks like there is a Yoke to DIN conversion kit for ScubaPro, but not a DIN to Yoke kit. I guess that means if my plan is to convert, I will have to get the Yoke version and buy the kit.

Thanks all! I am leaning toward the DIN + converter approach (currently looking at SP MK11 + C370). Is the MK11 an easily convertible first stage?

And yeah the reason why I hesitate getting the DIN + adapter is because of what people said about head bumping, but I've never used one so don't actually know if it's a problem with me / my setup.

Yeah I was planning on buying a few inserts.

The adapter bumping into the back of your head isn't as huge an issue as it's made out to be. You can lower your tank, or even rotate the tank a little. I'm sure you could learn to deal with it.

You can swap back between yoke / din on a MK11 (at least I think, I don't own one), but you have to torque it to whatever the specs are and I think it's less wise to be removing that and installing it over and over, but to each it's own.

The adapter (for $20) is the way to go... plenty of people use them.

DIN is the superior connection, especially if using high pressure tanks. i use them when sidemount diving.

i carry yoke to DIN adaptors just in case i need them.

i have not had any issues getting DIN tanks in playa del carmen (just let the dive shop know you need them ahead of time) but i cannot say the same for coz.
even if i find tanks with removable inserts in coz, they are usually so corroded in place that the shop does not even want me removing them.

DIN is the superior connection, especially if using high pressure tanks. i use them when sidemount diving.

i carry yoke to DIN adaptors just in case i need them.

i have not had any issues getting DIN tanks in playa del carmen (just let the dive shop know you need them ahead of time) but i cannot say the same for coz.
even if i find tanks with removable inserts in coz, they are usually so corroded in place that the shop does not even want me removing them.
You should be able to get tanks in Cozumel without insert in valve. Ask your shop to supply them beforehand . Most tanks are from the 3 rental outfits and lots have tanks that have universal valves. Getting the din to yoke converter is your best option to carry with your kit regardless.

Back
Top Bottom