DIN cylinders available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did all my UK dives in drysuit so was never really cold, but all the protection just makes dives not fun for me, especially hoods.

And then there's getting all the protection back on when they are still freezing wet for the second dive.
A good hood and 20 or 30 cold water dives in a ds and I think you'd change your mind. It's true the last 5 min or so gearing up I always ask myself why do I do this... and then I hit the water and all that goes away.

My wife doesn't like cold water because of the gear... I keep telling her it's really just because she's not comfortable enough in it yet. I need to stop otherwise I'll end up having to buy her ds:)

Obviously the drysuit isn't getting wet inside, but everything else is, and a wet freezing hood is the worst.
Decent hoods are good investments -- and not that expensive. A nice 7mm Waterproof (no bib) is my hood of choice. It doesn't absorb much water, so not that cold when it's put back on.

But, the bleeding obvious way around this... two hoods and a drybag.

On a boat, depending on the weather and surface interval, it's common to either stay in the drysuit or change. In the summer it's so hot you want to defer getting in to the drysuit until the last moment. OK, not that often, but it's like that for a few weekends of the year.

If you're doing "recreational" diving, then going off a RIB's fun. The best part is the boat's fast, so you get dressed, get on the boat, speed out to the wreck, dive, get back in and whizz back for 4 hours or thereabouts. Great fun.

More serious diving's only one dive per day so it's kit up, sort your kit out, dive for a couple of hours or so, out and change back in to your dry clothes (unless the weather's crap).

As @Edward3c says, we've got some fantastic diving in the UK. Scotland's blessed with some beautiful dive spots, many very sheltered. For me it's the tremendous number of wrecks in the South coast. Chart is about 35 miles wide.

WRECKSITE_-_Beachy_Head_to_Dungeness.jpg

Decent hoods are good investments -- and not that expensive. A nice 7mm Waterproof (no bib) is my hood of choice. It doesn't absorb much water, so not that cold when it's put back on.

But, the bleeding obvious way around this... two hoods and a drybag.

On a boat, depending on the weather and surface interval, it's common to either stay in the drysuit or change. In the summer it's so hot you want to defer getting in to the drysuit until the last moment. OK, not that often, but it's like that for a few weekends of the year.

If you're doing "recreational" diving, then going off a RIB's fun. The best part is the boat's fast, so you get dressed, get on the boat, speed out to the wreck, dive, get back in and whizz back for 4 hours or thereabouts. Great fun.

More serious diving's only one dive per day so it's kit up, sort your kit out, dive for a couple of hours or so, out and change back in to your dry clothes (unless the weather's crap).

As @Edward3c says, we've got some fantastic diving in the UK. Scotland's blessed with some beautiful dive spots, many very sheltered. For me it's the tremendous number of wrecks in the South coast. Chart is about 35 miles wide.

View attachment 712457

Adopt me, take me with you... I think I'm 1/25th Scottish and am willing to wear a kilt to dive

Scapa Flow.
You have to wear your kilt over the dry suit.
Done and done.. I'd wear one every day and even try my best at a Scottish accent..

Scapa Flow.
You have to wear your kilt over the dry suit.
Went up there in 2019 for the centenary a couple of times. In April it wasn't particularly warm, but with decent drysuits, decent undersuits, and being a softy-southerner, a heated vest, drygloves.... Yes, we survived pretty well for our 90ish minute dives.

I have to absolutely take my hat off to a Scottish gentleman who was diving with us in a wetsuit! He did shorter dives, circa 35mins, immediately after doffing his kit would run into the shower! (Most of the Scapa dive boats are converted fishing boats, so large)

Done and done.. I'd wear one every day and even try my best at a Scottish accent..
What did you wear under it?
I have to absolutely take my hat off to a Scottish gentleman who was diving with us in a wetsuit! He did shorter dives, circa 35mins, immediately after doffing his kit would run into the shower! (Most of the Scapa dive boats are converted fishing boats, so large)
And they have lift. How civilize.

What did you wear under it?
I've never actually worn one... but to dive there as @Wibble adopted son I'd wear one over the drysuit all week long!!

Edit: I'm not sure this is still OT :rofl3:... that ship has officially sailed.

Back
Top Bottom