din or yoke in australia/ great barrier reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks -- I'll see what Taka says, but the reference to the 2nd octopus confused me. A regulator and one octopus would seem to meet this. Maybe it is just a naming differnece between countries and OZ calls the primary regulator the 1st octopus??

2nd octupus :huh:

no doubt a bureaucrat wrote the regulation on recommendation from a comittee, doubt he was a diver

I dove a Cairns liveaboard and used their regs. Just a standard primary/secondary setup. I suspect the "2nd" is in reference to a second 2nd stage regulator (octopus) which most people dive with these days, not a 2nd octopus.

Darn :shakehead

I have an Atomic SS1 (alternate/inflator combination) and only a primary second-stage and an SPG. (Three hoses total)

Do you mean Australian Law says I'm going to have to dig out my old Yellow-hose Octo?

Wow! And, I was thinking of going with a transmitter SPG, so I would be down to only two hoses. Does OZ require a hosed SPG too?

Can't speak to the "yellow-hose" octo, since that is what I have and Taka confirmed that is acceptable.

Alternate/inflator combinations have always been fine for octopus on the boats I have been on - including Taka - although check if things have changed.

The 35m depth limit is OK for the Barrier Reef but a pain in the Coral Sea where going just a few metres deeper lets you get down to much bigger/better soft corals/gorgonians.

Last trips I did on Undersea Explorer and Spirit of Freedom allowed diving to 40 m which is better.

The overregulation of diving by the Queensland Govt is a bit of a put off for experienced divers in my opinion.

At home I regularly do solo decompression dives in cold (drysuit in winter) high tidal current and relatively poor viz to between 40 and 50 m but I have to do shallower no deco dives in the relatively idyllic conditions of Queensland.

Ans some of the applications of regulations (deepest dive first) result people doing bounce dives and things that appear to me to add risk.

Fordan:
Alternate Air Source = Octopus
Redundant Air Source = pony/doubles

I believe.

Queensland also requires a safety sausage & whistle I believe.
A knife must also be carried whilst diving in Queensland.

KeithM:
A knife must also be carried whilst diving in Queensland.

nope...

in Queensland you need...

an alternate air source (not pony bottle - you can take a pony if you like but you still need an alt)
safety sausage (usually comes with a whistle if the boat hands it out)
current tank inspection stamp (within 12 months)
night diving requires 2 light sources (usually primary torch and glow stick (can be a second torch)

and on most boats i have been on there is no depth limit... however if the divemaster sees you doing crazy deep reverse profiles you might be asked to sit out a dive or 2 (which usually means a 18+ hour sit out)

remember your own training will determine your depth..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom