din or yoke in australia/ great barrier reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zundanc3

Registered
Reaction score
should i bring a din or yoke regulator down there?

which type tank valve do most dive ops/ live-aboards have?

also, do live-aboards down there have nitrox readily available/ fills on-board?

You'll need to contact your chosen operator for what they offer as availability can differ from operation to operation.

Most operators have yoke valves as the majority of their tank fleet. Some may have limited numbers of DIN valves and/or the valves that can be adapted to either. Ask before you arrive! If your regs are DIN, I'd just throw in your adapter to be on the safe side.

Mike Ball only has Yoke fittings, you had to bring your own adaptor.
I think nitrox is advailable on most of the larger boats
check their web sites

SOF tanks was all yoke, and they have Nitrox as well.

cairns is 99% yoke

the further south you go in oz the more din's you will come across.. but oz in general is still prol 90% yoke

The only DINs I saw in 2 years were in Melbourne (on some tech divers). Every shop and charter I dealt with used Yokes.

Thank you everyone!

I will convert my DINs back to yokes for the trip.

I don't suppose any of the live-aboards have doubles for rent?

Zundanc3:
Thank you everyone!

I will convert my DINs back to yokes for the trip.

I don't suppose any of the live-aboards have doubles for rent?

All Boats in Cairns are 35m max depth, there is also NO Deco diving on any Cairns boat that I am aware of, if you come up from a dive and your computer shows any Deco you can kiss diving goodbye for the next 24-48 hours. Cairns is the most regulated backpacker, muppet (no offence to anyone) diving capital of the world. Don't think you will be needing twins.

Cheers
Chriso

Speaking of how regulated Cairns is, I'm heading out with Taka at the beginning of June and their web site has this comment:
If you are bringing your own gear, Queensland law requires all divers to dive with an alternate air source. Eg. 2nd Octopus

I'm quite new at this, but to me a alternate air is a pony bottle or something similar. Is that what this comment is getting at? I'll follow-up directly with Taka, but was just looking for some feedback from those who have been on Cairns liveaboards before.

thanks

Alternate Air Source = Octopus
Redundant Air Source = pony/doubles

I believe.

Queensland also requires a safety sausage & whistle I believe.

Back
Top Bottom