Din or Yoke what do you use and why

What do U use ?

• DIN

Votes: 65 71.4%
  • YOKE

Votes: 32 35.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIN or Yoke does not much matter but being consistent does! Technical divers do not like to mix for the serious concern that if it is necessary to change regs under water and the diver is not consistent; you may not be versatile enough to be safe.

I have a mixture of both currently, but personally prefer DIN. I am therefore in the process of doing two things - changing my stage bottles to DIN valves and changing any tanks I use for technical diving to low pressure. Low-pressure doubles in open circuit technical diving are easier to cross fill in the field with high-pressure single cylinders filled with your gas of preference. Low pressure DIN-valved tanks then, will always be my cylinder of choice for technical open circuit dives.

Currently for recreational diving I use high pressure steel tanks, but will no longer be using them and have no interest in doubling them up for technical diving. HP Steel for recreational diving is fine; in fact, I really like those tanks a lot for single use. I do believe also, DIN is a standard, and is designed for use over certain pressures. That pressure line (correct me if I am wrong) is 3000psi.

Stay safe out there!

I use Yoke because I am a newbie and that is what I was taught was the "most common". Bye the way, can you use a Yoke valve on a HP tank?

The definition of HP is pressure above 3000psi. D.I.N. is a standard, not even the real name for a valve. The standard dictates that DIN valves, will be used for pressures above 3000psi. Now, will yoke work above that pressure level - ? - probabaly, but it is not guaranteed to work !

Conversely, DIN can be used for pressures below 3000 psi. I actually prefer yoke. DIN is harder to screw down to the valve, it has to be tighter when fitting and sometimes it's even harder to unscrew. Still, over all, DIN is my valve of choice.

Best to you Scott D

I carry regs with both types of fittings. DIN ones are for my primary tanks, yoke for my pony bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom