DIN please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you saying that this problem only occured when the regs were changed to DIN? Also, not a Scubpro guy myself, but Oceanic uses a conical style seat in the flow-through piston first stages, so I can't see a seat failure being a common problem... I am not trying to be a weiner, I just thought that I would give it a try as a deco reg and yoke is not my style :wink:

rescuediver009:
Can anyone tell me where I can get a DIN connector that will fit this older Oceanic reg?
I don't care which make it is.

I converted one of these a few months ago.. I found the din connection online for ~$25.. I'll see if I can find the link..

That reg can take ALOT of abuse and the seat is huge.. I had one I that I couldn't get the yoke off so I just kept using it.. I was waiting for it to fail.. 9 YEARS later it still works.. all I have ever had to do is pop off the end cap and blow out some fine sand particles..

I replaced all the orings recently, but the ORIGINAL seat is still in there.. IP stable as ever..

Trident also stocks a DIN converter for both the MK V and newer SP regulators. It will probably cost half what SP wants for one.

I agree that a Mk 5 is not well suited to 300 bar (4350 psi) pressures due to the potential for the high pressure o-ring sealing the piston stem to begin to extrude into the clearance between the piston stem and the regulator body at pressures much greater than about 3000 psi. But for a deco reg at pressures of 3000 psi or less, it will work fine.

DA Aquamaster:
Trident also stocks a DIN converter for both the MK V and newer SP regulators. It will probably cost half what SP wants for one.

I agree that a Mk 5 is not well suited to 300 bar (4350 psi) pressures due to the potential for the high pressure o-ring sealing the piston stem to begin to extrude into the clearance between the piston stem and the regulator body at pressures much greater than about 3000 psi. But for a deco reg at pressures of 3000 psi or less, it will work fine.

Here is a link from LP (their price is high)
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OCNDAK.html

but someonemight be able to tell if the SP one is the same

DA Aquamaster:

DA my hero !
i would assume that you are talking about the 'A166' for 'older type regs? If so that is exactly the answer that I have been waiting for.

Also thanks for the reply for leisure pro. I saw they had them but I would buy a new first stage before I spent that much on this old thing.

Yep that would be it...When I made the previous post, I was thinking the number was possibly AA66 but was not sure, and could not find a Trident catalog around the house. But I did find it today in the on-line Trident catalog.

http://www.tridentdive.com/page22.htm

DA Aquamaster:
Yep that would be it...When I made the previous post, I was thinking the number was possibly AA66 but was not sure, and could not find a Trident catalog around the house. But I did find it today in the on-line Trident catalog.

http://www.tridentdive.com/page22.htm

Do you have any idea about how much A194 is? It doesn't look like a plastic wheel.

They all come with nicely knurled chrome plated brass wheels which is I think a plus compared to their Scubapro counterparts. I am not sure on cost and would have to check at the shop this weekend.

rd0009,

That Trident A166 DIN adapter is just like the one that Scubapro sold at the time, with the knurled brass chrome plated wheel. I think Trident had them cloned. It's an inexpensive way to find out if the first stage will work out for you... and I hope it does.

To answer your question, yes the troubles started only when the MK V regs were connected to DIN tanks. As DA mentioned there were piston related seal problems at higher pressures. The MK V body that holds the piston in line is in two threaded pieces, unlike newer models that align the piston in one piece. Another thing DIN valves changed was the diameter of flow. I'm not an engineer, but I know the piston springs often chattered even at lower pressures, and Scubapro began changing seats frequently at this point in time. The old ones were all flat and could even be flipped over and used again if need be, but new ones became conical. They were having trouble with MK X first stages also. Later seats became grooved as well. Pistons were sharp, then dull, etc.

IMO this was one early period where regulator performance became very important, and they were really tweaking piston designs for increased flow. Scubapro and Poseidon were battling for top performance as the technical market was coming on strong. It wasn't long before Apeks regulators also challenged the top performers. Later Atomic joined the contenders, followed by others, including Zeagle's USA made regulators. It's been interesting!

Happy New Year!

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom