DIN turret vs non turret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Stu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are some regulators for cold water that have a turret and others that have a fixed hose position (apex ds4, dive right hurricane). Anyone have any ideas as to the advantages or disadvantages of either?

Last edited:
The reg experts should post soon, but I think that the turret is just an O-ring swivel assembly for the LP stage. Nothing to do with DIN but VERY convenient when routing hoses for low profile. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Turrets usually offer greater hose routing options while adding a possible failure point.
I love the hose routing of my MK20/25s Scubapros while I hate the hose routing of my DS4.

I have not had one fail but its not unheard of. Usually failure is caused by over/under tightening of the retaining nut/bolt causing the turret to seperate from the 1st stage (*very bad). Or the O ring could develop a leak. ( not so bad).

With the balanced piston design, the turret (besides hose routing options) also prevents torque on hoses from unscrewing the ambient chamber. That could cause a bit of a problem. The Atomic Z2 has a 7 LP port chamber (cap) option in lieu of the more expensive turret. I'd assume they added some type of stop so the cap can not be loosened by the hoses.

I don't think turret is related with a cold water.

For example, a turret on MK25 is simply designed with a retainer, washer and O-ring. Even, these parts aren't included in an annual service kit (almost non-wear and tear).

Just my 2 bar.

Swiveling regulators are just easier on your mouth on longer dives since they pull less. There are people out there praying for a minimalistic approach and a turret represents is an additional failure point to them. Personally, I prefer swivel, but I do very long dives. There are good swiveling and fixed coldwater regulators out there, both piston and diaphragm.

In the distant past, the flow through turret retainig screw tended to be made from brass and if over torqued could stretch and fail. Now, I am alomost certain all companies are using stainless steel which is far less likely to break.

Scubapro made a non swiveling 5 port cap version of the Mk 5. They also made the Mk 9, which was a Mk 10 with a 5 port non swiveling turret cap. Both were made to satisfy the naysayers who felt a swivel was just one more failure waiting to happen.

I had an Apeks TX50 with the DST swivel turret first stage. For single tank diving, I found any benefits were outweighed by the fact that the hoses would always seem to pivot at the wrong moment gearing up on a pitching boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom