DIN VS YOKE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use DIN regulators, but keep a converter in my regulator bag just in case I need it.

As the others have said...most of the converters that I've seen are well built, so I don't see that being an issue if you decide to go that route. I remove mine and clean it off after every dive day.

+1 for DIN. DIN seems to becoming more widely available, including SE Asia.

As others have said, it's worth picking up a DIN to yoke adaptor just in case. I've only had to use mine once, when they ran out of DIN tanks. Only issue I experienced was that the adaptor protrudes more and I bumped the back of my head on it occasionally - slightly annoying but not something that made me wish I had Yoke regs instead!!

im sure this question has been asked 100x on these forums. Having said that here it goes...

Din or yoke? I think most would agree that din is better from a failure/ safety standpoint aswell as an engineering standpoint. But what about practicality? I tend to dive all over...SE Asia, japan, USA west and east coasts, Middle East...etc. I have used yoke for the 10+ years I’ve been diving, but now that I’m getting into tech it seems DIN is the way to go.

Q1: What’s the likelyhood dive operations / resorts wil have DIN capability? I’ve never asked and rarely see DIN being used.

Q2: How good are DIN to yoke adapters. I’ve heard mixed reviews saying they don’t last long and will not function well. Anyone have any recommendations as to who makes a good adapter?

Cheers!

ACS...

DIN gives you a ''captured ''O'' ring'' which is far superior...especially in overhead environments such as wrecks and caves...where bumping could dislodge a yoke connector...

Buy a good quality yoke/DIN adapter so you have capabilities for both types of valves...spend on average $75/80...ensure the adapter has 3442 PSI capacity...stay away from the $18/$20 adapters...

Checkout Dive Gear Express...Dive-Rite and Poseidon both manufacture good ones...

Best...

Warren

.stay away from the $18/$20 adapters...

Checkout Dive Gear Express...Dive-Rite and Poseidon both manufacture good ones...

Best...

Warren

upload_2019-1-8_7-50-10.png

you seem to contradict yourself...

pds-2920_1.jpg
dr-rg1225blk_1.jpg

Bob...

Take a closer look at what else is available at DGX...I did say to avoid the $20. adapter...Poseidon and Dive-Rite...both sold through DGX have a superior version...I believe I mentioned that as well...

W....

View attachment 498141

you seem to contradict yourself...

Not to pile on but as someone who bought that exact adapter I thought.......hmmmmmmmm
:)
FYI, I have used the adapter for 30-ish dives and seems to be fine. Not a stress test exactly but I’ll be surprised if DGX gets busted for selling under rated alloys in their adapters.

I prefer yoke but I have both and use DIN for the pony/stage bottle but rarely for the main tank. I know the advantages of DIN but I just don’t care for it in use once hoses are attached because it gets a bit crowded around the wheel.

The two DIN to Yoke adapters I prefer are Scubapro's and Atomic's. They are much nicer and more expensive. Worth it though.

Although I had no aspirations to tech diving, I bought DIN regs because the argument that the design was superior to yoke was persuasive to me, and because they were not uncommon among rec-only divers in Florida. It soon became apparent to me that, except for Europe, the rec diving world is predominantly yoke. I tried a spin-on adapter of the type linked to in posts above, but I found it took up just enough extra space behind my head to be annoying--yes, the half inch or so was noticeable. Others report not being bothered by it, so take that as just one person's opinion. Sure, DIN tank valves with the removable inserts are increasingly common, but I found that the inserts in rental tanks from dive ops that don't get a lot of requests for DIN tanks were often rusted in place and difficult to impossible to remove. Sometimes the dive op would want to remove them before handing over the tank, so as not to give customers the opportunity to lose the inserts, and I got tired of being the "exception" who had to wait while everyone else got squared away until dive op personnel found a few minutes to remove the DIN insert for me. Last to board the boat. The troublemaker. Also, even if the DIN insert was not rusted in place, in a few instances I recall that the valve fitting was slightly out of round, likely due to abuse suffered as a rental tank, and while the insert could be removed, it was difficult to impossible to screw my reg into it. Yokes are much more tolerant of such abuse; you can attach a yoke reg to a somewhat banged up valve fitting and still have it work. Eventually, I removed and replaced the DIN fittings on my first stages with yokes.

Having started down the path to tech diving, I have other regs dedicated to that, and those regs are of course DIN. But for rec diving, using rented tanks, I'm sticking with yoke regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom