Dinner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in the Wan Chai section of Hong Kong with a Chinese girl I'd just starting dating. She took me down some alley and bought a live snake out of a wooden basket. They bled the thing into a cup and served it up with a little cognac. It was nasty! I let her have the spleen all to herself.

You need to fry them in a lidded frypan when they are fresh...you skin them down to the bare muscle and the metal in the pan triggers the galvanic response and the legs twitch...

Mike

vladimir:
I was in the Wan Chai section of Hong Kong with a Chinese girl I'd just starting dating. She took me down some alley and bought a live snake out of a wooden basket. They bled the thing into a cup and served it up with a little cognac. It was nasty! I let her have the spleen all to herself.

eeeeeeeeee! I would have passed the cognac too!

didn't see any piglets, but pig heads (this pic is from last year), and just past it a tray of innards....there were cups of pig or cow blood (fluid and gel), brains...fun stuff like that.

IMG_7498.jpg

There were lots and lots of these crabs...fighting with each other...
IMG_7489.jpg

Dried cuttlefish...

IMG_7506.jpg

I asked and they didn't mind me taking pictures....not like last year when we went to the swapmeet and they blocked my camera ("I made all this jewelry, you cannot take pictures" as I look at the made in the philippines tag).

I have a few more that I need to crop a bit...including the fish in the packed tank.

Visiting Chinatown is like going to a different planet.

Thanks, Lisa, I'm going on a diet right now.

Dried cuttlefish, now that's just wrong!

vladimir:

Well, that takes the cake.

crazyTomato:
Interesting....

Did you know that our FDA has classified leeches and maggots as "medical devices"? They're the first live animals to have earned such distinction. So, seems a lot of things are done in the name of medicine.

As for frogs legs......well, French people love them too! And snails as well! They're considered delicacies insofar as my understanding goes.

Oh, yes, I watched a documentary before, for those who are living in the SF Bay Area,
the practice (leeches, maggots) is done at the Pacific Hospital.

Live maggot in cheese (served alive, well the maggots are eating cheese, and people are eating them both) is a cuisine in Sadinia, Italy.

Scandinavian cuisine has rotten code fish too.

But I am sure not everybody within the same culture would like those kinds of food.

alo100:
Live maggot in cheese (served alive, well the maggots are eating cheese, and people are eating them both) is a cuisine in Sadinia, Italy.
Yep. It's called casu marzu. Here's an article on it. It's actually illegal there. I remember reading about it a while back. The people would hold sort of "underground dinners" when feasting on the cheese. Least that's what I remember.

JustLeesa, your newer photos are just gross! I mean that in the nicest way possible. :D

crazyTomato:
JustLeesa, your newer photos are just gross! I mean that in the nicest way possible. :D

:blinking: I think this is where I say thank you :10:

Edit: WAIT! Just looked at your cheese link...now that's gross :)

Those won't open for me...

justleesa:
Edit: WAIT! Just looked at your cheese link...now that's gross :)
Lol. To each his own.

alo100:
But I am sure not everybody within the same culture would like those kinds of food.
I didn't notice this comment until now. You're so right! That really bothers me a lot about assuming that because it's socially acceptable within a culture doesn't mean everyone likes them. It's way too easy to brush people with broad strokes.

Sorry, justlessa, didn't mean to hijack your thread to make a social commentary. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom