Dinosaurs under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Contact Bob Bakker (or if he's still alive) that Horner fellow over at the Museum of the Rockies. They're at the top of the field, and pretty good with hypothesizing and interpreting physiologies of extinct critters. I vaguely remember hearing this story about long neck snorkeling before... :azvatar:

Wouldn't the problem of a human breathing through a 40' snorkel be more of a case of trying to avoid being sucked up the snorkel and popping out the top looking like sausage meat? :D

dinoguy:
I could ask some dino experts about the 0 dead airspace idea. But the birds evolved from the theropods (meat eaters) not the sauropods so I'd be skeptical of similarities unless there was strong evidence. Theropods and thus birds have very different skeletal structure from sauropods.

What? No wishbones!?!

Scubaroo:
Wouldn't the problem of a human breathing through a 40' snorkel be more of a case of trying to avoid being sucked up the snorkel and popping out the top looking like sausage meat? :D

This is pretty much what I heard happened to the old brand of hard hat divers when the check valves failed in the diving helmet after the compressor quit or if they fell and rapidly sank into deep water. Apparently the pressure on the canvas suit would force the diver up into the helmet creating a substantial and gooey mess to clean up.

yup... it was not pretty

Ok, I guess I won't suggest the long snorkel experiment to my son for his science fair project...

I can just hear the conversation now... What happened to your tongue? dunt athk...

ouch

Back
Top Bottom