Dipping your BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use double straps on my backplate, and generally don't wet them, and have never had it loosen, although I cinch them down pretty tight.

If I were using rental gear in some odd situation, I would probably wet it just to be sure, especially if it was a single strap rec BC.

I was never told to wet the band, but I certainly figured out that it shrank a bit after the first use. Now, every "first use" after days of being dry, it is difficult to slip over a tank and to tighten further. As long as the band remains slightly damp from day to day after that first dive, the band goes over the tank and tightens easily.

New bcd tend to slip because the band is still stiff and not broken in yet, if you lace the cam lock properly and synch it tight by moving cam back and forth a few times it will not slip.

Bigd2722:6300323:
I was taught to wet the bands first; I never do though

I knew someone who once said the same thing frequently. On one dive after several said statements, the dark angel of karma stuck. Needless to say it wasn't fun helping his buddy put his tank back on in 95fsw.

Dive SAFE and have fun.

As my BC has gotten old it takes longer to dip and soak in but after I busted a band a few years back I always make sure to wet my BC down! It might save a dive for you.

It's especially helpful with new stiff straps when using the common lace through cam band buckle. With break-in and skill it can become unnecessary.

7 years on my BC and I've never had a loose tank. I never wet the band before assembly with the tank. I move it back and forth a couple of times to make sure it's tight. But, hey, if it works for you, then keep it up. No problem, man.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned using different size tanks. Normally I dive using an AL80. On a recent trip to the Grand Cayman I used 72's. Wetting the strap before tightening helped "re-teach" the strap.
Normally I do not wet my strap and have had only 1 loose tank. I think I'll remember to wet my strap from now on. Especially on the first day.

I have been using the Apollo Bio Tank Lock for a few years. Wetting bands not necessary. I did recently actually have a tank slip right off while walking to a 2nd shore dive that day. I figured the band must've expanded from being wet the first dive (that one time) even too much for the tank lock to compensate. Since then I have tried to remember to tighten the lock in between dives. I would imagine it would be the same for regular straps if you use the same tank for the second dive, as I often do. If switching tanks you obviously would now tighten the soaked straps onto the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom