DIR Air Travel bags recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AK47Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm finally going to be taking a vacation, and it will be a cruise where I have an opportunity to do some diving in either the caymans or Cozumel. Happily one of my DIR dive teammates also is going to be on the same trip so I avoid the insta-buddy problem.

I'll be taking my single-tank setup Halcyon BP/W with STA, Can light, Mask, spare mask, booties, Jet Fins, SMB and regs and a 3mm full suit (possibly a 3mm shorty).

I'd like to put it all in one carry on bag for the plane trip and I'm thinking about either the Oceanic AT Pak or the Blue Reef Carry on bag.

If anyone has traveled by air with a similar gear load in carry on, I'd be interested in knowing the carry on bag you used and how it worked out.

I'm finally going to be taking a vacation, and it will be a cruise where I have an opportunity to do some diving in either the caymans or Cozumel. Happily one of my DIR dive teammates also is going to be on the same trip so I avoid the insta-buddy problem.

I'll be taking my single-tank setup Halcyon BP/W with STA, Can light, Mask, spare mask, booties, Jet Fins, SMB and regs and a 3mm full suit (possibly a 3mm shorty).

I'd like to put it all in one carry on bag for the plane trip and I'm thinking about either the Oceanic AT Pak or the Blue Reef Carry on bag.

If anyone has traveled by air with a similar gear load in carry on, I'd be interested in knowing the carry on bag you used and how it worked out.

You are never going to get all of your dive gear in a carry on. Too much and too heavy. Depending on the inspector, you can't even take the battery in the cabin now and you sure can't take your knife. As far as bags, the ones made by dive companies are universally bad. Use a quality non-dive companies gear/ oversize duffel luggage instead. Good backpacking stores are great resources for this type of stuff.

Thanks for the info.

I was planning on putting the knife in checked baggage (actually I was going to leave the knife and takes some much cheaper and thus more lose-able sheers on this one, again in checked baggage.)

I'll look into the duffel idea and maybe just do a carry on of the bare essentials.

Do not bring bags marked with scuba logos to MX. Unless you want to be assigned the worst rental car on the lot. Oh and be more likely to get your gear stolen.

Use something cheap and padded to take your can light, mask and regs on the plane. Put the backplate (with knife), fins, suit, etc. into a rolling duffel and check it. I find that a SS plate and jets is a significant fraction of the allowable 50lb checked bag limit. :(

i just used a duffel that i bought from REI for checked luggage. i did wind up with a smashed mask though... for the can light, i put it in a small pelican case inside the duffel...

I use a Victorinox Standard Traveler Carry-on; inside are my two Backgas Regs/one Deco Reg (the other two Deco Regs are in checked-in luggage); just the light head/cord/can tops of my two HID's; both primary & spare masks; bottom timers; and the McMurdo Fast Find Plus Emergency PLB unit (the Dive Canister for the PLB is in checked-in luggage). Essentially all my fragile stuff/electronics gets carried on.

For tropical diving, I think you should be able to pack all but the knife, battery(I carry my backups no problem), and probably fins, in an MLC roller. I prefer the harder sides of the typical road warrior bag, over soft duffles. Plus, they fit overheads extemely well.

I have the AT Pak and so far have used it on 3 trips. In it goes my regs, with comp, BT, and compass in the reg bag, DSS BPW with LCD 30 wing, boots, mask in hard case(script lenses), Back up mask in soft Dive Rite bag, both back up lights and my rockets strapped to the out side. I have not taken the can light yet since I'm not doing dives where frankly it's a necessity. Fla, Monterey, etc. I have learned however that it's better to use one of the big duffels for items not likely to be smashed. Ie, I now put my fins in the duffel along with wetsuit or dry suit, Not having the fins and suit also lightens things up a little in the carryon. Next trip is Bonaire and again doing single tank dives there just does not dictate going thru the hassel of taking the cannister. So what I'll do is take my C8 for the night dives I'll do along with the back ups. It'll go into the duffel well padded by suit and clothes. My Sealife digital will also go on with me since You are allowed one carry on and one personal item. ATPak goes in the overhead and camera under the seat. I can also throw a change of clothes in the Pak(shorts and a couple t shirts) heck that's damn near enough for the week in Bonaire and a mesh duffel that folds to virtually nothing for the boat dives and cost all of 19 bucks. I'm very satisfied with the quality of the AT pak and even though it says Oceanic on it it does not look like anything other than a big rolling back pack. It does not look like it would be holding scuba gear. And since it's with me all the time I'm not worried about a baggage monkey going thru it. BTW last twp trips TSA had no problem with me going thru security with my backup lights in the carry on and they had the batts in them. BTW knife and shears went in the checked bag. And I know you'd like to have it along but do you really need the can light? Chnaces are on dives done while doing a cruise you may not be able to get any night dives in and what conditions will necessitate taking the HID.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom