DIR and Stroke Approved Turkey Recipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The night before deep frying inject the critter with some Mojo Criollo, available at better spanish markets. Also available mail order w/very cheap ($4 -$6) shipping from the Cuban Food Market (see link below)
The GOYA Mojo Criollo is the best, has more suspendid solids (spices) I add more garlic anyway.
MOJO is also a great fish grilling marinade.

Meat marinating needles can be found at vetrinary supply stores, I use the biggest syringe & use a cannula w/blunt tip, used for treating mastitis in dairy cows.
A rig like that is about 1/3 the cost of a meat injector, which turns out to be the same exact thing.:wink:

If anyone uses my recipe for Turkey Day this year, please reply and tell me if you enjoyed it.

Thanks,
Chris

chrpai once bubbled...

This recipe is DIR because it uses a holistic approach reducing the preparation to its most simplistic form. Oh, and also because I say it is.

Its stroke friendly also because it tastes so damn good.

You forgot the part about tieing the stuffing in using cave line.....

This is neither DIR nor simplistic. The secret to cooking a turkey is this: the less you do to the bird, the better.

Brine it overnight in water and sea salt. Take it out of the brine, pat it dry. Preheat the oven to 500, put the bird in there for 5 minutes, turn the oven down to 350 and cook until done. It'll be tender, juicy, and fall off the bone.

And I agree with what the person upthread said. Deep-fried turkey is disgusting and wrong.

Never frozen turkey breasts are already preinjected with something like a 12% waster solution. No further brining is required.

I am keenly aware of "the less you do to it"... hence why I say to use a real meat thermometer, and not to carve it for 30 minutes after.

ppilot once bubbled...
Deep-fried turkey is disgusting and wrong.
You've never had a deep fried bird done correctly have you?

chrpai once bubbled...
Never frozen turkey breasts are already preinjected with something like a 12% waster solution. No further brining is required.
Yeah, but you don't get the exchange of flavors that happens when you salt the bird in the brine overnight. I don't personally care for "pre-seasoned" frozen foods...often it is overdone and you don't get to control the flavor of the "pre-seasoning"...

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Yeah, but you don't get the exchange of flavors that happens when you salt the bird in the brine overnight. I don't personally care for "pre-seasoned" frozen foods...often it is overdone and you don't get to control the flavor of the "pre-seasoning"...

The birds I use are neither frozen nor preseasoned.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom