DIR Answer Required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... I certainly can't argue with you. I don't have my slides for one, but I'm just not that bright, nor up on my gas viscocity I will have to go and read the notes I took on the slides and see if it makes more sense.

Well, nitrox is definately a more appropriate choice for many reasons. Ease of breathing based on gas density just isn't one of them :wink:

viscosity. it's viscosity.

C, i am afraid i have to disagree with you

gas viscosity plays a part in laminar air flow, which "only occurs at very low flow rates in narrow diameter tubes, provided there are no discontinuities or sharp bends. The driving pressure (or) is a function of tube dimensions, the gas viscosity and the gas velocity (or flow rate)."

however, while diving at increased pressure, "most gas flow is turbulent. The driving pressure is a function of tube dimensions, gas density and gas velocity."

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...+viscosity+breathing&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

thus, in diving, the density of a gas is far more important than its viscosity
(hence the benefits of helium at depth).

oh. thanks.
viscousness (another unsure-of and possibly made-up word) of the gas mixture

I was trying to help with this. So, a heavy gas like Argon is just more dense...which is why it is a good insulator. (?)

oh geez, now you are capable of highlighting?

catherine96821:
viscosity. it's viscosity.

H2Andy:

gas viscosity plays a part in laminar air flow, which "only occurs at very low flow rates in narrow diameter tubes, provided there are no discontinuities or sharp bends. The driving pressure (or) is a function of tube dimensions, the gas viscosity and the gas velocity (or flow rate)."

however, while diving at increased pressure, "most gas flow is turbulent. The driving pressure is a function of tube dimensions, gas density and gas velocity."

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...+viscosity+breathing&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

thus, in diving, the density of a gas is far more important than its viscosity
(hence the benefits of helium at depth).
H2Andy, Catherine is looking at it from a Patho-Physiological sense (she's an RN you know): Viscosity of an Air Mix at depth definitely will impact the efficiency of delivering O2 to the Blood Stream via the Lungs (i.e. Harder to Breath), potentially leading to CO2 retention and the dark narc vicious cycle. . .

i have got such a headache all of a sudden

Catherine, just fill your drysuit with Krypton. It's even more dense and causes supermen to lose their pee-valves. (slap me on the wrist for this non-DIR answer)

H2Andy:
I got one about four messages back :) I'll have to try and wrap my mind around that post above Anday. But it's a little late at the moment and I just can't.

Chris

H2Andy:
CO2 Headache Andy, breath some Trimix quick!:D
H2Andy:
gas viscosity plays a part in laminar air flow, which "only occurs at very low flow rates in narrow diameter tubes, provided there are no discontinuities or sharp bends. The driving pressure (or) is a function of tube dimensions, the gas viscosity and the gas velocity (or flow rate).")
Bronchus, Bronchi, Bronchioles, Alveoli --these are progressively narrowing diameter tubes with sharp bends and possibly discontinuities due to Lung Disease.
H2Andy:
however, while diving at increased pressure, "most gas flow is turbulent. The driving pressure is a function of tube dimensions, gas density and gas velocity.")
Great for Gas Blending; But how does it apply in terms of Work-of-Breathing and delivering that gas (more importantly Oxygen) ultimately to the Blood Stream & Tissues?
H2Andy:
thus, in diving, the density of a gas is far more important than its viscosity (hence the benefits of helium at depth).
Physiologically IMO it is the viscosity that has the greater ramifications.
[edit: Med Consult please (TSandM?) . . .any Docs, Respiratory Therapists or other allied Health Professional/Divers out there?]

seems like a good time to ask....is O2HEN2 chem equation for trimix?

quick...what is CO?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom