DIR-compliant regulators in today's market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Forgive me if this has been hashed over before. I've done searches for information on DIR-compliant regulators, and have only turned up two - the scubapro MK20 and apeks DS4 seem to be the most popular, but the websites I've found these on seem to be a little older.

It seems to me that there should be more players in this market, and for lower price points. I'm not one to sacrifice quality for price, but I would like to know what else is out there that has been found to be DIR-compliant and reliable.

I ask because I only want to buy a reg kit once, as I've got a baby on the way. I hope to take fundies at some point in the future, probably after I move to Oregon (which probably won't happen for at least another year). The crystal ball shows mainly cold water diving for me, though, so I know I'll need an environmentally sealed reg that can handle the cold.

Does anyone have any helpful feedback on alternative regs, such as the Dive Rite or Oxycheq? Are there any others I may not be aware of? Are there regs that I should avoid, or a general principle to follow? I'd like to set a goal so I can start saving for the right reg. Many thanks!

DIR-compliant regulators
I, for one, will be very interested to see the responses. As far as I know, a "DIR-compliant regulator" is one that provides you with gas when it is supposed to do so -- has enough ports for the appropriate number of 2nd stages -- has enough ports for the appropriate number of low pressure hoses -- has at least one High Pressure port for a brass and glass SPG. Again, as far as I know, they don't even have to be DIN to be a "DIR-compliant regulator" --that is assuming one can be a DIR diver doing a single tank recreational dive. But as I say, I look forward to "learned" responses to this question.

It's my understanding that the favored regulators have certain routings for the hoses and adjustments for breathing, as well as the ability to be taken apart underwater in the case of a blockage?

Maybe "compliance" is the wrong word for me to be using. Hopefully my request does make sense, though.

There not a DIR Brand, but some characteristics should be considered:

1 - Non balanced first stages should be considered for shallow dives only, less demanding dives
2 - For cold water the first stage should be sealed (usually sealed diaphragm)
3 - If using doubles a DIN connection should be used (for singles yoke is ok)
4 - Second stage should be downstream type, which means they will free flow rather than block air if a failure occurs

So, a reliable brand that comply with that is DIR compliant.

So here's what I learned starting out from Open Water and moving towards technical diving that I wish people had told me about regulators:

1) Using a DIN regulator on a Yoke tank is easy, there's an adapter that screws on the DIN first stage and TaDah! it's now a ready for a Yoke tank. Doing it the other way around isn't generally done. So go with a DIN regulator. Environmentally sealed is good if you're doing cold water diving.

2) Fancy gauge sets and computers will likely be replaced with a simple brass and glass SPG, along with a wrist compass and bottom timer. Invest in these first rather than that 3-gauge set with built-in hockey puck computer. Substitute a decent wrist computer that has basic timer functions if you must or want.

3) Get thee to Deep Sea Supply website to find out what wrist mounts they offer and get your gauges, compass, etc. to match up. These are neat wrist mounts that just *work*.

4) Start off right away with the bungied necklace backup with black hose, cheap to change over but $20 bucks is $20 bucks

5) Start off with a 5 foot primary hose and move to a 7 foot hose if you don't feel comfortable with the 7 foot hose right away. But start off with the long hose.

6) Chances are even if you invest in a single regulator now thinking that when you eventually go to doubles that you'll just buy another regulator, in the end you'll end up buying a matched set of regulators specifically for doubles diving. Because by the time you go to doubles and want that 2nd regulator, models will have changed and you won't get an exact match.

7) Start off with backplate and wing, rather than BCD. I had a small recreational BCD, upgraded to something that would handle colder water and heavier tanks then eventually moved to a BP/W... should have just done right from the start and got a small wing to start.

8) Spend your money on lights if you have to spend your money on something. Again only being around PADI recreational divers and PADI shop, there are tons of lights for recreational diving out there. They aren't cheap. Some are good, some aren't so good. In the end, I really should have spent some of the money I spent on wrist computers and recreational dive lights and get a couple of decent backup lights and really good primary light.

9) Last bit of wisdom I can pass along... spend a small bit of money on a pair of x-Shorts or pocket for your wetsuit. Pockets go on suits not the BP/W or BCD. :wink: Better yet, learn to dive dry and get an inexpensive shell suit. For all the money I spent on 5mm, 7mm wetsuits, gloves, hoods, I would have been miles ahead with an inexpensive shell drysuit.

In the end I spent the same amount of money but had to arrive at the final destination on a different and difficult path.

PS. I lied... one more piece of advise... take Fundies early and find a mentor in the DIR / GUE community that does the type of diving you hope to do and exemplifies the best qualities of DIR / GUE...

1. Planning to go DIN, environmentally sealed.
2/3. My first purchase was a wrist computer that I only use in gauge mode, checking against tables. Have no desire to dive a console at all. I've had my eye on the DSS compass mount for awhile now. Trying to refrain from buying a brass SPG until I actually get my hands on a decent first stage so I know it'll fit.
4/5. I completely plan to go long hose with bungeed backup when I get my regulator set, probably with miflex hoses as well.
6. Interesting thought, but I'm not too overly worried about this one. Good thing to think about, though.
7. Happy new owner of a freedom plate (admittedly probably not DIR, but I'm going to enjoy it anyways, backplates aren't too expensive if I need to upgrade to a full/doubles one) and a DSS T26 wing.
8. Oxycheq Raider I with the hand sock, and just picked up a Princeton Tec Tec40 for backup. I'm pretty happy with these so far, as I know my wife's going to have a heart attack when she finds out how much a can light is going to be. :D
9. I got a good deal on a 7mm wetsuit, which suits me for now. Saving up for a Whites fusion, which the wife will consider once we move closer to the coast (we're Pacific Northwest-bound, once the economy smooths out and we sell our house). I'll have to keep my eye out for a pair of x-shorts, especially since the freedom plate doesn't allow me to hook anything extra to it; it's very minimalist.

On your final note, I very much agree. I am limited by my funds, as I have to make above and beyond what I normally bring in with side projects, and we've got a baby on the way. I do want to take at least one class each year. This year will be either Rescue or Fundies, depending on how much money I can throw at it.
I'm leaning towards trying to pick up the regulators and then Rescue around christmastime.

I'm pretty pleased with myself for having figured out this path before sinking too much money into this hobby. I see far too many others having to make repeat purchases, and I have scubaboard to thank mainly for my choices.

Hence, my questions about the regulators. The less I can spend on them without sacrificing reliability and quality, while maintaining DIR standards, the quicker I can save up for Fundies. I appreciate all the responses thus far, please keep them coming!

I would especially like to hear about alternate brands and what you guys think of them. Alternate meaning other than Scubapro or Apeks, for me.

Adding to what's already been said, some other considerations are:

Ease of hose routing for proper streamlining

Piston style regs are preferred for deco/stage use since those bottles are more likely to end up with flooded regs.

Second stage disassembly without tools when diving in conditions that could cause debris to get stuck in diaphragm/exhaust valve.

If you are looking for a single tank regulator, many will suit. If you have a group of buddies with whom you regularly dive, buying what they have means tools and spare parts are interchangeable, which is a big part of the gear standardization idea of DIR.

For doubles, port placement for hose routing is a consideration. Being able to take the second stage apart underwater is also a consideration. For very cold water, some kind of environmental seal system is desirable. But most regulators are usable; only a few (Poseidons in particular) have design features that make them undesirable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom