DIR-F class coming to our NY/NJ/PA area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clarification on my last post

I've booked a pool session for Mon night to try on the dry suit
I really want to go to the class so short of harming myself I'm trying all I can

The others registered wait and do not give up just yet and anyone else who signs up will make the day.

I really do not want to let anyone down specially myself

I'll let you all know after I come back from the pool

V

vfa, good luck with the drysuit cert. I got mine today (whoo hoo). It is actually quite easy to adjust buoyancy with the suit, but twice I ran into trouble to release air. And I do not like drysuit squeeze. There is no better feeling than pulling the neck seal after a good dive and getting air back to jumpstart your circulation. I guess you just have to get used to it. :wink:

VFA, would be great if you can make it. I fell in love with my drysuit, and most recently with my dry gloves too. what a feeling!

In regards to drysuit training. Are you being tought PADI drysuit way of diving? when I took the class, the instructor told me to only use drysuit for bouyancy, and not the BC. If that's what you were doing, you will need to quickly unlearn this habit. Don;t mean to confuse you, but you will quickly become comfortable, so don't worry about it. It only feels "funny" the first few dives.

the class should be fun, I'll be checking with MHK to see if anybody else has signed up.

vfa once bubbled...
Clarification on my last post

I've booked a pool session for Mon night to try on the dry suit
I really want to go to the class so short of harming myself I'm trying all I can

The others registered wait and do not give up just yet and anyone else who signs up will make the day.

I really do not want to let anyone down specially myself

I'll let you all know after I come back from the pool

V

ScoobyPat once bubbled...
It is actually quite easy to adjust buoyancy with the suit, but twice I ran into trouble to release air.

Actually, to add to my post above... I meant to direct it to ScoobyPat,... in regarding to using the drysuit for buoyancy. This is probably the beat horse subject on some other threads, but consensus says that one does not use the suit for buoyancy... I am sure MHK will clarify this during the class

VTernovski once bubbled...
In regards to drysuit training. Are you being tought PADI drysuit way of diving? when I took the class, the instructor told me to only use drysuit for bouyancy, and not the BC. If that's what you were doing, you will need to quickly unlearn this habit. Don;t mean to confuse you, but you will quickly become comfortable, so don't worry about it. It only feels "funny" the first few dives.

Yep, I learned it the PADI way. Use BC on surface only and adjust buoyancy underwater exclusively with the suit. I actually had no real problems in getting/staying neutral, except for the air release where sometimes air got trapped and I couldn't properly release it in a timely fashion and therefore got a little positive. I wish I could adjust it a little bit better (and faster, BC style), but I guess that comes with experience and proper valve settings. What I absolutely don't like is the inflator right at you sternum. Also, the suit tends to squeeze all in the wrong places while descending *hehe*. Other than that, I felt pretty comfortable (and dry)!

Two certs in one weekend: AOW and Dry Suit and next weekend I'll take the equipment class. Whoo hoo.

I'm taking the SSI class and from what I was told when doing the suit fitting (pre class) BC for buoyancy @ all times

Dry suit inflation only for insulation and to unsqueeze your personals (ie.your private). HE HE!! Sorry, I could not pass that opportunity to make a fool of myself again...

Things are looking good for tonight... I'll post my experience as soon as I come back from the pool.

I also ordered a DIR set as recommended. It includes long hose, short hose and neck lace for second stages and new SPG with it's custom hose. (According to the tracking info I'll get it on Wed.)

A friend wants to sell a pair of jet fin size XL, I'll bring them on Fri.

Thanks to all who sent me PMs and offered so much help and advise.

V:D

vfa once bubbled...

I also ordered a DIR set as recommended. It includes long hose, short hose and neck lace for second stages and new SPG with it's custom hose.

V:D

I hope you got a 7' hose, and not the 5' hose even though (you may be diving single tank?) If you still have a chance, and ordered 5', change it to 7' before they ship your order.

VTernovski once bubbled...

I hope you got a 7' hose, and not the 5' hose even though (you may be diving single tank?) If you still have a chance, and ordered 5', change it to 7' before they ship your order.

Thanks! That's exactly what I did

cheers

V

Cool, I am interested in the BC method, because the manual inflation/deflation is a pain in the 'behind'. I asked why they just don't use the BC for buoyancy control, but I guess that's what the PADI bible says and everyone I dove with did it the PADI way.

I will be the 5/6th at DS, but I won't be able to make the DIR class. That'll have to wait until next spring.

ScoobyPat once bubbled...

I will be the 5/6th at DS, but I won't be able to make the DIR class. That'll have to wait until next spring.

Ahh, too bad. I was going to say that probably the best way to answer your question (and many others) is to ask MHK directly, I am sure he will go in great detail as to "why, how and when"... I personally can't wait for the class myself as I have tons of questions and misconceptions to ponder about. NOt to mention the skills that I want to learn. (sorry, don't mean to sound like a commercial for GUE, but seriously, I am glad to be able to learn something new from a well respected instructor in this industry) My whole thing is that one can learn a great deal from the INternet, but nothing beats a face-to-face instruction from someone who actually knows the stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom