DIR-F in KY Class report..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
In one word...WOW...what a weekend.
[snip]

Scott (commonly referred to as Spielberg by MHK for that ability to catch any imperfection on camera, and the occasional shot of just the weight belt.)

Brandon (he has a fascination with pictures...the dude never had less than three cameras on or near him)
[snip]

I guess you'll find it no surprise what two (scuba)guys inspired my recent camera purchase :)

Dipping my toes into the world of digital photography (C-5050z)

Glad you had a fruitful time.

bob

Spectre once bubbled...
Man those Kentucky folks just can't get any practical jokes right! :wink:

wait until you see the group shot....I think MHK and Sonya are going right to hell for that one.....

will post the picture of what was on top of the TV that we watched the videos on.

If MHK and Sonya and the scubaguys can come back for another DIRF in Ky then I would encourage anyone interested in taking a really well presented informative class to sign up for it. The quality of the instruction was excellent even from the scubaguys who were behind the cameras and able to point to the "problem" areas with their fingers.

second that....the scubaguys rocked....not to mention they are fun guys to boot. They have a website even....I think DD started a thread with the pics from the class in it.

http://www.scubaguys.com/SGontheroadpage.htm

There are some great shots in there of at least one or two individuals "learning" how to do some of the kicks.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

wait until you see the group shot....I think MHK and Sonya are going right to hell for that one.....

You're not talking about the one that questions the absence of a certain, un-named, Training Director, are you??? ;-)

Thanks again for an awesome class..

Later

What we really need is that picture of the drink you all gave us saturday morning.

thats one of the pictures we need posted along with the one of the TV.

BTW where was Andrew whats his name?? :D

I have held off on posting about the recent DIRF class that I attended due to me beating the crap out of myself and not wanting to talk about it until I had dealt with things myself.....I am better now.

Day 1

We had the introductions and lectures. This was great. A lot of the myths were put to rest and I think we all learned a lot of great information.

These folks were very respectful.....they called everything as they saw it but they pointed out reasons for their thoughts. It was pointed out that most of us had most of our dives tied up in training and we were not out gaining real experience and that if we were interested in progressing into Tech diving that it would be a good idea to get some dives in to actually practice all the skills we had learned in those classes that we had taken instead of going right into the next class.

The lecture section was very informative and extremely well presented.

Day 2

There were more lectures and then we worked on kick techniques on the floor. This was very informative as I learned that while I have been practicing the various kicks for over a year I was doing them wrong. :D. My Helicopter Turn is much more efficient now and I have a clue how to do the Backup Kick.

Then we went diving. This is where my world fell apart. Those that know me know that when it comes to diving I am my own harshest critic. I chose to dive in my dry suit and doubles for the second time this year. I dove it a lot last year but I haven't had much of a chance to get it wet this year as I have been diving wet with singles.

We went to start the first dive and I called it within the first 5 mins because my buoyancy was so screwed up. I couldn't stay within + or - 5 feet of neutral. Sonya and I spent quite a bit of time talking on the surface and she talked me out of quitting. I was going to totally call the first dive and then switch to singles and wetsuit for the rest of the class but she talked me into staying with what I was using so that her and MHK could help me figure out why I was having so much trouble.

The rest of the day I calmed down a little but I still was a mess in the water. By that night in the video review I was still miffed at myself. While watching the video the instructors were telling the other students what they had messed up on.......every time I came on the screen I started pointing out all the stuff that I had screwed up myself. I guess that Sonya and MHK felt sorry for me because they were much nicer to me than I was to myself. :)

Day 3

We go to the quarry. By this time I had already told JBD that if he hadn't rode with me I would probably already be gone. I really wanted the training but by this time I was ready to postpone it a few months and try again next time GUE was in the area and I had some time to practice some more.

I am very happy that I didn't quit. We got in the water and my buoyancy was a little better but more than that I noticed that some of the things that we had talked about were getting better. It was to the point that I was able to relax some and get through the skills. There were some problems with executing the skills but in the end we got through them and I learned so much in this class.

Summery

This class is definitely the best one I have taken. (I know you have seen that said in every other report :)) I had self inflicted problems but the instructors were great about putting up with me and helping me through them. I can't say enough about how great they all were. MHK, Sonya and the Scubaguys were all there for what ever was needed and they always had a smile on their face.

I hope to see and dive with each and every one of them again.

Chad

PS. For those that were there I am sorry that I was such bad company. I really enjoyed diving with you all.

I am really glad you hung in there so you could make all the dives and find out more about what it is you can do to improve. that is the reason we were all there in the first place...

And don't worry, they won't cut off the kool-aid supply just because of one bad weekend in doubles and a drysuit.

BTW...I als enjoyed diving in the same quarry as you too....we never got to be buddies, but it was still fun...and thanks for letting me use your rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom