DIR-F in KY Class report..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
I am really glad you hung in there so you could make all the dives and find out more about what it is you can do to improve. that is the reason we were all there in the first place...

And don't worry, they won't cut off the kool-aid supply just because of one bad weekend in doubles and a drysuit.

BTW...I als enjoyed diving in the same quarry as you too....we never got to be buddies, but it was still fun...and thanks for letting me use your rig.

I am glad I stuck around too. I might chose to take it again after some practice but at least I have some tools now to get me started. I would love to get some further feedback after I practice for awhile.

I have drank 2 boxes of that stuff since I got home....that is why I am feeling better. :D

I am glad you enjoyed the rig.

Chad

I even drank a "jammer" in hopes of making him feel better. :wink:

I know how we can all make ourselves look better on those films.

All we gotta do is get GI3, JJ & Andrew Who???? in a room together and get them hypnotized and have you teach them that "Z" move you do with your hands. Have them do that until each hand has done the move 10,000 times. Presto!! we have a new DIR skill that we can all do already:D

KYmerm - it is good to hear that you are taking after Chad...now all we have to do is get you addicted to dumplings and you 2 will be set....

jbd - it takes 17 years of competitive swimming to get that u/w hand wave thing that I do down.....I don't think those guys can hang....maybe MHK, but the others, I'm not so sure....

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
Sonya and I spent quite a bit of time talking on the surface and she talked me out of quitting. I was going to totally call the first dive and then switch to singles and wetsuit for the rest of the class but she talked me into staying with what I was using so that her and MHK could help me figure out why I was having so much trouble.

They did the same with my class. We had some that bailed for similar reasons, even after Sonya and MHK tried their best to get them to stick it out and see what they could learn. These GUE instructors really know how to deal with a wide variety of experience and performance of students so that everyone comes away with key learnings. I was very impressed with the fact that they even bothered to try to keep everyone going.

The upside is that the students who bailed are totally motivated to work on some things and take the class again when they feel more comfortable in the water, with the gear, etc.

A lot of DIRF students have same reaction to their diving - they are WAY harder on themselves than the instructors ever would be and tend to throw in the towel too early. I'm glad they kept you going - aren't you??

diveski01 once bubbled...

I'm glad they kept you going - aren't you??

I would not have been happy about my diving this weekend even if it was not a class but the class made me harder on myself. In the end I got some things sorted out (with Sonya and MHK's help) and learned a lot. Now I need to spend a lot more time in the water working on it.

Chad

ckharlan66 once bubbled...

...Now I need to spend a lot more time in the water working on it.

Luckily I dive with several "like-minded" divers which are working towards cave and tech so there's always someone doing drills before &/or after dives that I can work with. No way am I ever gonna get comfortable taking my mask off unless it becomes routine.

diveski01 once bubbled...

No way am I ever gonna get comfortable taking my mask off unless it becomes routine.

we (Rob and I) sort of gut used to not having a mask on Sunday....they (MHK and Sonya) thought it was hilarious for one of us not to have vision most of the time we were doing a drill.

Back
Top Bottom